• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Switch The Previal to Sprint PRL CTMod Final 3.75.2

First of thanks goes to ron580 for the original post below http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...peedtest-net-results-after-couple-tweaks.html

This is a slightly different and updated tutorial just for CTMod Final 3.75.2 unlike the other thread you will not need odin to flash back to stock or anything of the sort.

This is my experiance and how this hepled. I have had boost mobile for about 3 years and am on my 3rd prevail ( purchased on black friday for $30). This is the first one I have rooted and the first thing I did was switch to CTMod. I have never had good service at home but lately I have been forced to use wifi tether for my home based internet for reasons I will not get into. I am lucky to get 1 bar of service at home and when using wifi tether I would place my phone in random places to try to get 2 bars. If I am sitting in front of my pc or in the downstairs bathroom for a long as I can remember my service would drop and I would get the dreaded red X. That being said with 2 bars of service during the day I would recieve 15-50KBps download speeds with upload limited to 1KBps. But between 10Pm and 4Am I would recieve 50Kbps up to 150Kbps. I'm guessing this was due to a low priority connection that was faster in off peak hours or something, after all it is boost mobile. 3G supercharger did little to no good as it was a signal issue So I decided to switch to a sprint PRl and see if it improved. Well it did but not drastically. I now never lose service in my house although I sometimes still lose 3g in front of my pc and I get steady 50KBPS all day with 100-150Kbps In off peak hours still. Not a mojor increase in speed but I can carry on a conversation without worrying about losing signal and that is a big plus. When placed in the window next to my pc I now get 3 bars! Signal around town seems better too although road trips will be the big test as I often loose signal through most of Iowa.

Disclaimer: A new PRl is not a list of cell phone towers and will not magically get you 4G or any ridiculous claims. But if you are suffering from loss of signal or poor signal at home it is a great place to look for improvement.

Disclaimer: I do not try to pretend I know everything about what I am telling you. It is always a good idea to do a CWMod backup before doing this and I am not responsible for any damaged that occurs by you following my directions.

Anyway If you are having similar problems this may help

Downloads:

I have attached 3 PRl's all three with different account types which can be found here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1880781

Others can be found around the web but I used 12124 In the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area and it worked great for me. As far as I know about PRL's which isn't a lot is they are not region specific except the few exceptions listed in the above link.

I cannot link to CDMA workshop but you do not need a full version the trial will work. Google it

If you do not have the Samsung driver for our phone then download it here
Samsung

You will also need your phones MSl In Terminal Emulator type Su to get superuser permissions and in line 2 type

getprop ril.MSL

Make sure your phone is in USB Debugging mode. Go to Settings, Applications, Development

Okay let's get to it:

1. Dial ##3283# this will bring you too a screen which will ask for your msl. Enter it then select edit. Enter your msl again. Then select advanced and change the top 3 Vocoders to 4GV. Select home and reboot. This will improve call quality and possibly 3g speed according to original thread. I cannot attest to that fact because I never tested before changing my PRL but they seem to know a lot more than I do so I will be trusting them.

2. After reboot Dial ##8778# and enter your msl at the prompt.

3. Switch from UART to USB and return home

4. Dial ##7678# and enter your MSl

5. Switch from UMS To DM at which point your phone will reboot

6. Now open device manager and expand the com ports section. You should now see Suamsung Android usb Diagnostic Serial Port (Com?) If not you may need to update your drivers. Now if it doesnt show the com port in the name you need to right click on it and select properties then select port settings and click advanced. In the bottom left it will list the com port in a drop down menu. ( Also useful if it is outside of Com8 and you need the full version of CDMA workshop you can change the com port to any available here)

7. Open CDMA workshop and on the main tab select your com port from the drop down menu and hit connect. If it fails you are using the wrong com port or you need too unplug and replug the usb cable.

8. Navigate to the security tab and under password select Samsung (default) and click send. You should see a confirmation message.

9. To check everyuthing is okay return to the main tab and click read. It should populate the fields on the left.

10. Now find and download the PRl you would like to use.

11.Navigate to the "other" tab in CDMA workshop and under PRl select read and navigate to your .PRl file ( mine are in .zip format so you need to extract the .PRl File) and click open. It will then write the PRL to your phone. You should recieve a conformation message.

12. Disconnect from CDMA workshop

13. Switch back the setting under the ##8778# and then ##7678# at which point the phone will reboot.

14. To verify everything worked on your phone go to settings, about phone, status. Your new PRl should be listed there.

I hope this helps anyone in the same situation. I do not pretend to know what most of the settings are doing I'm just relaying the info spread across the internet into a hopefully simple to follow thread for CTMOD Final 3.75.2 on the prevail.

Attachments

• 11114.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 12124.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 60668.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: jamoosh

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones