• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help System believes facebook messenger is installed but it isn't

Dizz0

Lurker
Hey there!

I wanted facebook and facebook messenger apps with a dark theme and since it is not in the original versions I was looking for a solution and found this:

https: //www.themefoxx.com/2017/02/dark-facebook-app-for-andro ...

The regular facebook app works perfectly. None of the apps are with viruses and they are well done. However, I have a problem with the messenger app. I installed it and it worked fine but after a while the app says that I have to update to the current version and I cannot access any conversations. If I click on the update, it will take me to the Play Store and of course I cannot update it because it is not the original messenger app.

I uninstalled the dark theme messenger app.

Entered play.google.com and there it said facebook messenger app is already installed though it is of course not.

So there is a bug that my system thinks it is already installed and hence cannot be installed.

How can I clear something so that the system understands that messenger is not installed and so I can reinstall it again from the Play Store? Seems like it is stuck and thinks messenger is there though the homemade dark theme app is uninstalled and there is no original version either.

Seems the dark theme app version has bugged the system so some data/cache somewhere needs to be cleared but I have no idea how to fix this.

I have a P20 Pro with latest Android 9 Pie.

Thanks!

My guess would be that the apk you downloaded wasn't built properly and now is interfering with the official play store version. The easiest way to fix this would be to backup your phone, perform a factory reset and then install the official messenger.

Yeah be careful on what you really download.
I have very few apps on my comp and programs.
the mega file was an a**hole to dispose of.

If you're getting fail messages from the play store app then go into settings, apps, play store, clear cache and data. Reboot your phone. Try again

Done that multiple times, didnt work still.

My guess would be that the apk you downloaded wasn't built properly and now is interfering with the official play store version. The easiest way to fix this would be to backup your phone, perform a factory reset and then install the official messenger.

Yes it seems like factory reset is the only way. Which really sucks but oh well.

<p dir='rtl' style='margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;'>&#1605;&#1610;&#1605;&#1610; &#1575;&#1604;&#1576;&#1583;&#1585;&#1610;</p>

Back
Top Bottom