• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System Sounds

Baldilocks

Android Expert
Ok, has anyone been able to figure out how to change the notification sound of the built in Email client? (Not Gmail). It's an annoying bell and I see no option anywhere to change it. I've been through the system settings AND through the email settings -- maybe I am missing something.

Also, is there a way to change the water sounds to the regular Android sounds?

Thanks in advance!!

If you download Astro File Manager it lets you browser the entire file system, "My Files" does not.

The notifications are kept in: /system/media/audio/notifications. In theory, replacing those files with another sound file with the same file name should change the sound. The water drop file is called "S_Dew Drops"

There's a problem with this though, in that I don't think you can alter the permissions when you're not rooted, and by default you can't rename or create any new files in the /system folder. :(

Root Explorer can change the permissions but requires root access.

I've actually found a UI directory as well with 3 sound files that all sound like the dew drop sound. Two of them have the word 'touch' in them. Now I am confused and not exactly sure of which one to change.

I've actually found a UI directory as well with 3 sound files that all sound like the dew drop sound. Two of them have the word 'touch' in them. Now I am confused and not exactly sure of which one to change.

Try them all one by one, just rename the originals by adding "_original" to the end of the name, then you can change them back if it doesn't work out.

You might have to reboot each time; I'm not sure if the sounds are cached.

Found them, they are all in the UI directory. One controls touch, one is for back, etc. They all have to be changed in order to get rid of the 'water' sounds.

It's called: /system/media/audio/ui/

The two files I have found so far are:

TWTouch.ogg
S_HW_Touch.ogg

Now if I could just find the standard Android touch tones somewhere. :)

Found them, they are all in the UI directory. One controls touch, one is for back, etc. They all have to be changed in order to get rid of the 'water' sounds.

It's called: /system/media/audio/ui/

The two files I have found so far are:

TWTouch.ogg
S_HW_Touch.ogg

Now if I could just find the standard Android touch tones somewhere. :)

Download a custom ROM from XDA and unzip it rather than flashing it to your phone. They'll all be in there.

Let me know if you need any help :)

It's an annoying bell and I see no option anywhere to change it. I've been through the system settings AND through the email settings -- maybe I am missing something.

Thanks in advance!!

In the Email client, go into settings, and instead of tapping on General preferences, tap on your account.

A huge menu then comes up.

Third from the bottom, Select ringtone :)

The 'annoying bell' is called Postman.

In the Email client, go into settings, and instead of tapping on General preferences, tap on your account.

A huge menu then comes up.

Third from the bottom, Select ringtone :)

The 'annoying bell' is called Postman.

Thanks. Figured it out about an hour ago, but good to leave up for others just in case. ;)

Back
Top Bottom