• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help T-Mobile Fully paid for Galaxy Avant & Unlocking SIM?

LaZeR

Android Enthusiast
Ok. So I have the Unlock code in hand for my T-Mobile Note 4 after requesting since I own the phone and am about to switch to "Cricket" as T-Mobile emailed it to me.

So here goes. My Girlfriend's Galaxy Avant (fully paid for & owned - same as my Note 4):
-Same attempt to customer service to request Unlock Code.
-Told it would take 24hrs and they would email it to me.
-Received an email stating I would need to use an App already installed: Device Unlock App & select either "Temporary" or "Permanent" Unlock.
-Proceeded to search device for said APP and could not find, finally went to Play Store and simply typed in "Device Unlock" & presto, it shows as Installed on phone there and had the Open option to run the App.
-Further proceeded to Open/Run "Device Unlock" and select "Permanent".
-I believe at this point it said to reboot phone (maybe not)... Anyhow, I am now wondering how I can tell if her Galaxy Avant is actually SIM Unlocked? The only difference I currently see is when searching for said APP via PlayStore to find it on phone, it now says "Disabled".

What a strange way for T-Mobile to have for SIM unlocking this Model/Device... I'm lost :eek:

And I am going to be fairly upset when I purchase "Cricket" SIMS and go to activate/port in only to find out her Avant is still SIM locked. :mad:

The app is a one-time use app and cannot be re-attained, meaning, after unlocking it will delete itself and won't be available for that device since it has been unlocked. You could have tested it with your own sim(if different carrier) to see if it will prompt a message asking for an unlock code.

The app is a one-time use app and cannot be re-attained, meaning, after unlocking it will delete itself and won't be available for that device since it has been unlocked. You could have tested it with your own sim(if different carrier) to see if it will prompt a message asking for an unlock code.

Thanks for the reply. The only other SIM I had laying around was a CDMA Verizon SIM. I actually did try it. There was no prompt, but of course no service and I didn't expect their to be since I didn't try to activate it. Sorry, I am a little challenged as to all the tech involved in what/how to actually confirm. I did note that some towers appeared with the Verizon SIM in the Avant.

Meanwhile, I sure hope this was a good decision in regards to attempting to port out to "Cricket". Have had nothing but issues with contacting them and finally ordered the two SIM kits for BYOD this past Saturday and they only sent me confirmation on my main line SIM being placed in shipment 2-day via UPS on Monday. After about an hour on the phone with CS, and 3 agents, I was finally able to get "word" that the 2nd line (Gf's Avant) of which I ordered the SIM & initial account plan for "should" be arriving this Wednesday also, although I had not received a tracking confirmation on it for some reason until just this morning 15 hrs after the frustrating call.

Just to update. Successful Cricket Sim'd & ported complete. Only concern is the stupid thing going away in 30 days or whatever since that App also contained a "Temporary" Unlock Sim option. I am sure I pressed "Permanent"... Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom