• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile upgrades to DC-Metro area...

colnago

Android Expert
Got an email last night from T-Mo:

"Good news! Over the last several months, we have significantly enhanced our wireless network throughout the Washington, DC metro area. That means improved coverage for all of our customers. Faster speeds and more reliable connections, so you can do what you want, when you want.
Last year alone T-Mobile invested more than $70 million in our DC network to ensure that you have the reliable coverage you need and expect. Network upgrades include:
412 cell sites upgraded to 3G

165 new cell sites constructed

Coverage provided for 20 underground Metro stations throughout the DC area

More Improvements on the Way
You're always on the go, and you need wireless access to family, friends and the services you care about most. That

BELLEVUE, Wash. — May 24, 2010 — T-Mobile USA, Inc. announced today the continued expansion and customer availability of its HSPA+ super-fast mobile broadband network that delivers 4G speeds in the Northeastern U.S. and other major cities across the country.
As the company continues to aggressively broaden its HSPA+ network in the New York City metropolitan area, including New Jersey and Long Island, T-Mobile announces the further build-out and widespread availability — right now — of its super-fast network in adjoining regions, including Upstate New York (Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse), Connecticut (Hartford, New Haven, Milford and Stamford) and Providence, R.I. Already live in Philadelphia, as well the Washington, D.C. suburbs, T-Mobile’s HSPA+ network will expand into Boston and Washington, D.C. in the coming weeks, further enhancing the Northeast corridor with 4G speeds.
In addition, customers in Memphis, Tenn., and Las Vegas, also now can stay connected on T-Mobile’s high-speed mobile broadband network.
Using the HSPA+ wireless technology standard, the T-Mobile network currently delivers theoretical peak download speeds of 21Mbps1. T-Mobile’s rapidly expanding HSPA+ mobile broadband footprint makes it easy for customers to enjoy 4G speeds2 on existing mobile broadband devices such as the T-Mobile webConnect™ Rocket™ Laptop Stick. In addition, more than a dozen released T-Mobile devices benefit from these enhanced speeds, with two high-performance smartphones available next month — the T-Mobile

I hit 7.44Mbs in the middle of the DC/Balt corridor...looks like the IP address change I saw a few weeks ago correlated to the speed change. However I did the test about 3 miles from my house, and I still only average 900K at home:

4675782397_dece270bdf_b.jpg

That sux...it could be the phone. My Motorola Defy is consistently getting 10-20dBm better signal than the G2x I just bought. I think I'm going to return it as it struggles to keep signal at my job site.

FWIW, I am getting 4-7Mbs at the house now, but still no signal inside my local supermarket(s).

Back
Top Bottom