• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tab 3 buttons and left 1inch of screen issue

Iceohio

Lurker
Aug 18, 2015
Hey all

I have a real annoying issue with my tab 3 5210. About a year ago the charging port went fubar. I messed with it until it got so frustrating that I tossed it in a box. Last week I got a new charging port for it and installed it. To my joy, it booted right up.

Unfortunately, the left inch of the screen (in the default screen orientation) looks fine, but will not respond to touch at all. I confirmed that it is consistent top to bottom, and remains in the same physical location when the screen rotates. I also confirmed it wasn't the Rom I was using, because even with 2 different roms, it did the same. It's clearly a hardware issue.

Also, the buttons on each side of the home button do not respond to touch. So I effectively have no back button. I installed Button Savior and now have the back and details control again, but it is a huge PITA to keep flipping it around constantly when something falls in that dead area.. And it may just be my aggravation speaking here... But it seems to be more frequent than is reasonable, lol.

I have tried reseating the cables in the back, figuring it must be that but nothing has helped. If anyone has any insight on the cable that would affect that side of the screen, and/or the buttons, it would be a blessing to at least have a starting point troubleshooting this annoyance.

Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones