• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tethering (Does this type exist?)

LitrosNub

Android Expert
I have a router. The usual stuff to run internet. But I just got a new one that does not allow it to have 2-networks (One regular and one as a guest). Is there a way to tether wifi off my phone to make it a wifi-hotspot? That uses wifi and not data?

Nope. Too much for the system to contemplate.

However, you may be able to tether wifi to Bluetooth or the usb port on a number of models.

Last edited:
you got to check this link I found it helpful to use my computers internet on my tab when I had no Wifi modem(root required)

You may of course be able to connect your old router to your new router and do it that way.

There are a couple of ways of doing it. I set my cable company supplies router into modem mode... and the plug my own ddwrt router into that. My own router provides the wifi networks.. wireless.. vpn settings etc.. and just uses the newer one as a pipe out onto the Internet

you got to check this link I found it helpful to use my computers internet on my tab when I had no Wifi modem(root required)
That's USB tethering. Which I can't do. Since I only have 1 computer and most of my connections are neighbors that I know. Which I don't want my neighbors to hijack my main wifi.

You may of course be able to connect your old router to your new router and do it that way.

There are a couple of ways of doing it. I set my cable company supplies router into modem mode... and the plug my own ddwrt router into that. My own router provides the wifi networks.. wireless.. vpn settings etc.. and just uses the newer one as a pipe out onto the Internet
That seems to complex. And the router I had is broken. Pretty much why I got a new one. It's a new one my ISP gave me so. Unless I get a router that supports making 2 routers. That's out of the question.

Does your new router have an ethernet port in addition to wifi?

If so, you can pick up a really cheap router and try what @psionandy suggests.

ISP -> their router -> ethernet -> cheap router with wifi

They're not free, I'll grant you that, but they're not super expensive either (chose this sample at random for you) -

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless-Pocket-Ethernet-MWR102/dp/B005WKIKA0

And I've seen them for less.

Not sure if it's in your budget but that's probably pretty much what you want.

Plus not a lot of setup hassle just for a guest network.

Does your new router have an ethernet port in addition to wifi?

If so, you can pick up a really cheap router and try what @psionandy suggests.

ISP -> their router -> ethernet -> cheap router with wifi

They're not free, I'll grant you that, but they're not super expensive either (chose this sample at random for you) -

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless-Pocket-Ethernet-MWR102/dp/B005WKIKA0

And I've seen them for less.

Not sure if it's in your budget but that's probably pretty much what you want.

Plus not a lot of setup hassle just for a guest network.
Alright, I'll get a new router. Not sure what will happen with the current one. Or if they'll even return it. Or accept a new one.

Back
Top Bottom