• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Textra MMS fail sending

Kayg519

Lurker
Apr 26, 2019
Pictures will not send threw this app. I tried sending them to different contacts and still getting message failed. Textra MMS won't send. Is there something in the settings I should change? I am fairly new to the text messaging app. Anyon know how to solve this issue? please help!

Can you receive MMS? If not I'd suggest checking your phone's APN settings (will be in your mobile data settings somewhere). Some carriers use a separate APN for MMS, so it's perfectly possible to have data working but MMS not.

Carriers usually have maximum sizes for photos, and won't send anything bigger, but Textra should have settings for that. But you could try reducing the maximum size in Textra's settings and seeing whether it will send then.

(It is literally years since I used MMS: here in the UK SMS has been free for many years (or included in such huge numbers it may as well be) but the carriers still think they can charge massively for MMS, and so nobody I know ever uses it. If people want to send a photo they use WhatsApp or similar instead - cheaper, less hassle, and can send at higher quality).

Reactions: ocnbrze and tube517
Upvote 0
On current version I do not see Legacy or System options in Settings. I have been back and forth with Verizon and with Textra about this and unfortunately it looks like (at least in my case) it is Android that is causing the issue. I can send/receive MMS in the stock Messenger just fine but Textra will fail (Timeout: Can't get MMS) or send the message several hours later whereas the stock app goes through instantly.

I have tried a couple of other third-party text apps and the exact same issue, MMS will not send at all or is delayed for hours. I've tried disabling everything I can possibly disable on the stock app to prevent the stock app from "hijacking" the MMS incoming/outgoing, I've disabled all the power management, cleared cache, uninstall/reinstall Textra, resync, everything.

Verizon had me dial *920, the rep said that they had seen cases where "call forward on busy" (which *920 turns off) would prevent MMS from going through, and after I turned it off I was able to send a pic to myself and got it immediately, but the next morning I was back to not being able to send/receive MMS via Textra. I tried *920 a couple of times again and it didn't help.

This all started about 2 weeks ago. So, I can only assume at this point that there was something in the last Android security update that broke this for 3rd party apps.

Upvote 0
Amazing, that I would have the same problem 2 years later. Nothing I do seems to solve my Textra not being able to send Bal inquires to my banks. All the other functions work like normal, although, I can't seem to figure out how to get my notifications on my lock screen.
YUP! I am in the same boat as you, friendo! My MMS is horrendously slow at sending and receiving. I've tried everything (apn reset, using the android messenger app, other messenger/texting apps, going thru Textra's settings, etc.). Nothing has worked, improved or worsened this issue.

My specs:
S21 Ultra
Carrier Fido (Canada)
4G LTE data (we don't have 5G in this country, yet...)

This is my very first Android after having been a mindless iOS dog for nearly a decade. I love everything about my phone and it's operating system architecture yet this MMS issue is the only grinding my gears right now. I am big on sending and receiving photos and videos in text messaging (having been used to iMessage for so many years) so this is definitely a hurdle I can easily accept or overcome.

Upvote 0
Amazing, that I would have the same problem 2 years later. Nothing I do seems to solve my Textra not being able to send Bal inquires to my banks. All the other functions work like normal, although, I can't seem to figure out how to get my notifications on my lock screen.

I have had the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S10E ever since 2 updates ago. Textra MMS worked just fine before that. I have gone thru every setting possible and it still won't send even the smallest/shortest video. I can send thru WhatsApp just fine but not every one uses that. I have used Textra for years and never had this problem before.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
I have discovered that it's something in android.
Make sure your APN settings are correct and turn OFF your wi-fi, it should send correctly via your mobile data.
My problem is that I don't know how to make Textra ignore wi-fi and use mobile data only, so I have to turn off wi-fi every time I want to send an SMS.
My phone is a Nokia X20 with android 12.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones