• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Texts breaking up, incomming?

Renlaan

This just started recently, I'll get texts that are like this...
FROM...
Name 0001/0002 then what they texted

Name 0002/0002 a few more words

Name then the rest of the text...

Basicly its splitting up my texts with no ryme or reason. It used to all fit in one text, maybe two...

Any idea?
R

This just started recently, I'll get texts that are like this...
FROM...
Name 0001/0002 then what they texted

Name 0002/0002 a few more words

Name then the rest of the text...

Basicly its splitting up my texts with no ryme or reason. It used to all fit in one text, maybe two...

Any idea?
R

That happens to me too, and to all other Sprint Customers (with the Transform, at least). I believe it was the recent Sprint update.

I've never seen or heard of this occur on my Transform (as well as 3 other Transform users that I know of) or other people that I know of who have other Sprint phones. However, a quick research on the web regarding the subject of text messages (SMS) being split up shows that there is a 160 character limit for Short Message Service (SMS) since its inception by design! Thus, what you are seeing is probably a very long text message that Sprint (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile do the same thing) has broken up into two or more text messages. However, if it's splitting it up a text that is less than 160 characters, then there is an issue with Sprint in processing the text message to your phone though it may be a random occurrence or we would be seeing or hearing more issues about this.

Update: I've read that some users of Handcent or GO SMS have reported issues in the past wherein their text messages where split randomly (3, 4, or 5 parts) even though their text message was less than 160 characters so it could be a Handcent or GO SMS app issue and not a Sprint issue. Btw, I use stock SMS and pretty much everyone I know does too.

I've never seen or heard of this occur on my Transform (as well as 3 other Transform users that I know of) or other people that I know of who have other Sprint phones. However, a quick research on the web regarding the subject of text messages (SMS) being split up shows that there is a 160 character limit for Short Message Service (SMS) since its inception by design! Thus, what you are seeing is probably a very long text message that Sprint (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile do the same thing) has broken up into two or more text messages. However, if it's splitting it up a text that is less than 160 characters, then there is an issue with Sprint in processing the text message to your phone though it may be a random occurrence or we would be seeing or hearing more issues about this.

Update: I've read that some users of Handcent or GO SMS have reported issues in the past wherein their text messages where split randomly (3, 4, or 5 parts) even though their text message was less than 160 characters so it could be a Handcent or GO SMS app issue and not a Sprint issue. Btw, I use stock SMS and pretty much everyone I know does too.

I use stock SMS, and I thought this topic was on messages longer than 160 characters? Because that's the only time that this problem occurs. Not that it's a problem, just a slight annoyance.

I knew about the 160 limit, and alot of mine are shorter then that. My text ringer will go off 3 times in a row for a shorter message then 160 sometimes. Annoying yes...

Are the people sending you the texts using stock SMS then or are they using Handcent or GO SMS for their messaging which could be the cause of the problem. Also, are they on Sprint or on another network?

Back
Top Bottom