• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories The Digital Assistant trend

Would you like a Digital Assistant built into all of your wireless speakers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dontpanicbobby

100% That Guy
Dec 31, 2011
Boston MA USA
Now days it seems like a trend is developing in which wireless speakers usually purchased for entertainment purposes like listening to music throughout the home without running wires all over the place are trying to get in on the Digital Assistant trend. While I enjoy using digital assistants the last thing I want is for every speaker in my home to be constantly listening waiting for a command from me. It's not that I'm paranoid worried about the Guv'mint listening in it's just that the technology is not advanced enough to know when I just want to listen to music. So here's a poll...

Reactions: mikedt
I've disabled Cortana on my Win10 laptop (shortly to be zapped to Linux Mint) and Alexa on my Kindle Fire 10" 2017 needs a long press to activate. BT speakers are just that, no wifi.
and no 'smart' TV that always listens in with the excuse that "it's to improve speech recognition" (Samsung - I'm looking at you)

Upvote 0
And predictably, after the retailer's customer services said they'd told the warehouse not to send the speaker to me, guess what they did...

I've set the delivery date back by a week (the longest I could) and am now trying to see if that will give them time to actually cancel it. I know they probably aren't used to people trying to turn down free stuff, but I can't be the first person to simply not want a promotional item...

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones