• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories The "Perfect Case" Does it exist?

DILands

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
King of Prussia PA 19406
UGH!! LOL

a) I'm cheap. LOL
b) I would like (but don't need) either a kickstand or a holster
c) for exercising - I need a case that is easy to get the phone in and out of
d) not concerned about screen protection

I ordered Galaxy Note 7 Case, SOPKASE Heavy Duty Protection Dual Layer Full-body Rugged Combo Locking Belt Swivel Clip Holster Cover with Kickstand Shock Reduction Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (Black/white) from Amazon - I can't even get the phone in.

I got a Tech 21 Evo Wallet - don't like it - not comfortable to hold when actually using the device - and - I couldn't get the S-Pen out.

Any suggestions?

TIA!!

Well I was going to suggest the Supcase full body one but I see you already tried it. I have it. Love it. Best case ever to me. It's easy to get the phone into it. Plus it still keeps the phone slim like feeling. I guess that's it. I haven't bought any other case and don't plan too. I plan to use this one throughout its life.

For me - it's a really tight fit - it's so tight - I'm concerned that the phone is going to break.

Upvote 0
I have the Spigen Wallet S portfolio case and I am about to send it back.

Behind the phone is some type of metallic piece. I have reached out to Spigen, asking them to explain what that metallic piece does... because I'm experiencing a significant reduction in wireless charging while the Note 7 is in this case. I suspect that metallic piece is interfering. They haven't answered me yet.

So I'm shopping for other portfolio cases.

Upvote 0
I have the Spigen Wallet S portfolio case and I am about to send it back.

Behind the phone is some type of metallic piece. I have reached out to Spigen, asking them to explain what that metallic piece does... because I'm experiencing a significant reduction in wireless charging while the Note 7 is in this case. I suspect that metallic piece is interfering. They haven't answered me yet.

So I'm shopping for other portfolio cases.

Is it possible that it's for a magnetic connection, like for a car mount or to keep the flap from the wallet in place?

Upvote 0
No, this is the plate I refer to:

SpigenWalletSPlate.jpg

I have no idea what it's for, but I'm certainly not deriving any benefit from it.

Upvote 0
I haven't decided if I'm getting the Note 7 or not, but just in case I've been looking into cases.
So far, this is the only one I like.
I have to have a kickstand that works vertically as well as horizontally.
Vertical kickstands are good for operating the device one handed.

Galaxy Note 7 Case, Pandawell Hybrid Dual Layer Shock Absorbing Protective Case Cover with 360 Rotating Kickstand for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JA6NJVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_j.CUxbQ8M7T5Y

Upvote 0
Is it possible that it's for a magnetic connection, like for a car mount or to keep the flap from the wallet in place?

No, this is the plate I refer to:

View attachment 108720

I have no idea what it's for, but I'm certainly not deriving any benefit from it.
What didn't you understand about his comment in the quote above?

Your photo is clearly marked with the text "Apply metal plate for the Magnetic Air Vent mount" ?

If there's another metallic piece on the other side of your portfolio that we cannot see in the photo, it may come right off as it may be held tightly by a magnet embedded within the case.

Upvote 0
No, I'm running on very little sleep these days and am suffering from a condition called "Brain Flatulence" :p

Apparently, this thing is, as you said, a sticker held in with adhesive. The case flexes as if there's no metal in it. WHICH MEANS that it's not the case, but the charging circuit in this phone. As I suspected.

The Note 7 is now down to 27% battery. When it hits 10% I'll plug it in to see how fast it charges. It should charge to 100% in an hour or so... if not, then I'm facing the prospect of wiping it, returning it to Sam's Club, undoing everything they did to my account, and starting all over with a new Note 7 directly from Verizon. Two days of setup, wasted.

:(

Reactions: toptobottom
Upvote 0
UGH!! LOL

a) I'm cheap. LOL
b) I would like (but don't need) either a kickstand or a holster
c) for exercising - I need a case that is easy to get the phone in and out of
d) not concerned about screen protection

I ordered Galaxy Note 7 Case, SOPKASE Heavy Duty Protection Dual Layer Full-body Rugged Combo Locking Belt Swivel Clip Holster Cover with Kickstand Shock Reduction Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (Black/white) from Amazon - I can't even get the phone in.

I got a Tech 21 Evo Wallet - don't like it - not comfortable to hold when actually using the device - and - I couldn't get the S-Pen out.

Any suggestions?

TIA!!
I have spent way too much money on this phone but personally I want mine to keep it's good look so that in the end it will look like it just came out of the box but I ordered a cheap one off amazon to have when I got the phone but that one provided no protection what so ever and already came apart so I got a Otterbox from T-Mobile Store and I love Otterbox but it does not work well with a Zagg screen protector and the curved edges don't stay down. I didn't install it so the store is replacing it and installing another one when they get more in but I also ordered a Case-Mate case that worked flawlessly with the Edge 7 so I am hoping the Case-Mate will be the way to go and I'll take the Otterbox back. You might as well not even get a case if you are going to get a cheap one, it's not going to keep it from shattering if you drop it. And these screens DO scratch. Just my own personal opinion of course but this is a expensive phone!

Upvote 0
Now that the battery debacle is behind us and we have a whole new batch of note 7 owners joining us we should revive some older posts. I'll start with this one. I just designed my own Skinit case this morning and used coupon code "welcomeback" for 30% off. There are other codes on Retailmenot if that one doesn't work for you. I just want my hard won, expensive phone to look as special as it is and not like everyone else.

Upvote 0
I'm kinda stuck on the whole portfolio case, and was sporting a Spigen Wallet S case until I saw THIS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15217298939...49&var=451367661080&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Kind of the same thing, but with 3 times as much room for cards! I'm having a devil of a time charging my phone wirelessly through it, though. It seems no thicker than the Spigen, but for some reason it just sits on my charger without charging. When I remove the phone from the case, it charges fine... hard to believe that 2mm is all it takes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones