• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt acting up and in rough shape...

So should I

• Make a claim and replace it with another one? (likely a refurb?)
OR

• Use these trade in program credits I have from a while back totaling 1/2 off my discounted price of a Galaxy Nexus

Insurance/replacement is going to mean a deductible, and the Nexus is going to mean $125.00. Neither are something I want to spend, but a new (or refurbed) phone is something that would be nice.

What are the current opinions on the Galaxy Nexus? Or should I stick it out for another few months and see what the next ICS model is going to be? :)

Well there is also the Rezound and the Razr that will be updated to ICS in the future, I think the rezound just dropped to $199.

The Razr Maxx was just announced and the droid 4 but the release dates are unknown currently.

I don't think I would want to pay the deductible and get a refirb but I like to get phones quite often :D

Upvote 0
In the long run, a new phone is your best option. The GNex is probably worth the price coming stock with ICS and the Rezound's bootloader has been cracked so I'd expect to start seeing ICS ported to it in the near future.

Your only other 4G LTE choices are the Bionic (I like it and I got it very cheap, but not allot of Dev support), the Razr (which eats battery time like the Thunderbolt) right now. The Razr MAXX, the Droid 4, and the LG Revolution 2 (It's trade name escapes me at the moment) which are supposed to be all that and a bag of chips. But who knows when they'll come out and if they'll be all that much better.

So, you've got good choices now and (maybe) better ones down the road. I'd go to a store and play with them to see what feels best and don't look back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones