• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tipping a colleague

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date Start date
Saying nice work is nice and all, but most people who work in restaurants and such places would rather be tipped.
We usually do the 15-20% top thing. A few times I have left a tip that was more than the bill
With all due respect, that's not the kind of tipping the article is about.

Its premise is peer-to-peer tipping, in places of business like offices, where one employee tips another, not customers tipping servers in restaurants.

I don't like it.

(And I'm a very generous tipper when dining out...but that's not the topic of this article.)

I wish I got a tip for making the fridges the restaurants food gets stored in. Now don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to tip and always do but why doesn't everyone get paid twice for their job? The most I can hope for is an occasional "well done". Those do happen occasionally but they come far and few between. Don't know why but it reminds me of this :)

but why doesn't everyone get paid twice for their job?

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but who gets paid twice for their job? Allegedly UK MPs are mostly on the take, fiddling expenses, but that's another thing :D
The article refers to office situations, not service industry, where monetary tipping is commonly used to form part of the employees wages.

I guess I expect others to think the same way as me, which is probably a mistake. Because if someone at work does something well (this is a software team we're talking about), I make a point of saying "great job", because I appreciate their hard work and creativity. I just think that kind of recognition is wonderful to receive, because peers know the difficulties of the job, much more than managers, who by and large are far removed from technical details.

(Moved to new thread as we had a few comments on this)

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but who gets paid twice for their job? Allegedly UK MPs are mostly on the take, fiddling expenses, but that's another thing :D
The article refers to office situations, not service industry, where monetary tipping is commonly used to form part of the employees wages.

I guess I expect others to think the same way as me, which is probably a mistake. Because if someone at work does something well (this is a software team we're talking about), I make a point of saying "great job", because I appreciate their hard work and creativity. I just think that kind of recognition is wonderful to receive, because peers know the difficulties of the job, much more than managers, who by and large are far removed from technical details.

(Moved to new thread as we had a few comments on this)

I can't really explain without digging a big hole for myself but I've been in worse places than a hole so I was referencing getting your hourly wage and then getting paid on top by the customer, ie payed twice. I've worked a few minimum wage jobs before moving up ladders but every industry doesn't get tipped so it was never on the cards for me. I guess it was the polite thing to do when there was no minimum wage and it's carried forward. There's a lot of people at my place of work on minimum who don't get that luxury. And I know it wasn't really about service tipping but it'd already gone OT so I thought I'd chuck it in there :)

It depends on where you are. In some countries waiters are paid properly and there is no expectation of tipping. In others the owners keep their costs down by barely paying staff and everyone expects the customer to make that up in addition to the price of the meal (and by "expect" I really do mean that - in those countries tipping significantly is genuinely an expectation, not a gratuity).

Back on topic, I'd say that's the worst new idea I've seen this week.

Back
Top Bottom