• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tmo network unlock questions

nowucme

Background:
I bought an xperia z directly from Sony. Its the c6606 lte T-Mobile version.

Mistakenly I assumed since they were the same company that I wouldn't need an unlock code to use with metro pcs since they own them. Apparently I was wrong.

Tried to pop in metro sim and it requests an unlock code.

Called metro Sony and tmobile. Sony Doesn't have access to the code

Tmo says I can't have the code unless I met certain conditions.
I've heard conflicting stories from various tmo reps.

One said I could never have the code cuz I didn't buy it directly from them (bought from Sony directly)

Another said all I have to do is have an account with them for 42 days and after that they'll gladly give the code. And suggested I do a daily plan but not actually use the phone because it would only cost me 3 a month for 2 months to have kept an account open with them. And that is my cheapest option

Now my questions for experienced tmo customers.

1. Is 42 days the rule? after that they give the code? Or is there other conditions they just haven't told me

2. After 42 days is the code given for free or will they charge me money for the code beyond what ill pay to keep an account for 42 days?

And if there's anything else I need to know please fill me in.

Thank you!

If you bought it directly from Sony, how did it get locked to T-Mobile? Or to anyone? It should have come unlocked. Something is fishy here...

Never heard of a 42 day rule.

Sony has factory unlocked versions but based off the consensus of another forum I asked which Sony should I get to get lte on metro they all said get the tmo version.

Sooooooo me not knowing much about bands and whatnot I trusted their opinion.

I doubled checked when I got the phone...It's network locked to tmo and there's 5 attempts to unlock it available according to the service menu on the device itself (*#*#7378423#* or similar menu accessed from the xperia's dialer)

Im sure it's locked by tmo.

They said they wouldn't give the code unless I was a customer first (I've never ever been a tmo customer. All I've ever had is AT&T and metro pcs)

I was told by different reps that I needed to be a customer for at least 40/42 days...I got conflicting answers on the exact length of time but no one said more than 2 months)

I just really don't know the real truth and calling tmo doesn't help because you can talk to 5 employees and all will say something different so before I go through the trouble of setting up an ain't n waiting 40+ days I wanna make sure there's no other surprises or something may as well just pay 50 to get it unlocked by a third party.

But ideally id like to have the code directly from tmo since I only get 5 chances to enter in the correct code or it'll never be able to be used on any other network and paying metro 60 for unlimited everything is way better than paying tmo 80 for the same exact service (same network)

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ing-it-once-again-legal-to-unlock-cell-phones

http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

And follow the links in that FAQ, be sure to track what seems to match your situation.

And armed with that, if you paid full retail for an unlocked device and are being given the runaround, let the senior most management that you can reach know that you're ready to have your state attorney general get the complaint.

While controlled by Federal law, the states all took great interest in this.

I am not a lawyer and if I were, I am not your lawyer.

But I do know that your taxes, going through these parties, entitles you to help with your consumer rights under the law and every state has an office for that.

Even if you bought a T-Mobile version, coming direct from Sony it should have been unlocked out of the box. T-Mobile has no money owed to them for the phone so I don't see how they would have any claim to locking it or keeping it locked. It might have T-Mobile frequencies, but I would think probably no T-Mobile software loaded or T-Mobile branding since it was not sold by T-Mobile or with T-Mobile service. Is T-Mobile software or branding on it?

I've had T-Mobile service over 17 years, mostly using unlocked phones and I know several other long-term customers. I've never heard of a situation like this. Never heard of a 42 day rule. T-Mobile has always been by far the most BYOD-friendly provider and very willing to unlock paid-for phones.

I'm not sure what to tell you, but something just smells wrong. Did you do all 5 attempts to unlock it or were some or all of those on the phone when you got it? Did you actually buy it directly from Sony, from a Sony dealer or as a new phone from some other source?

Edit: The only T-Mobile version I could find at Sony.com is the Xperia Z1S. Couldn't find the c6606 version specifically. Doesn't specify locked or unlocked, doesn't mention any T-Mobile bloatware, also doesn't say T-Mobile service is required to activate, but that's probably just assumed.

Last edited:
I bought it new in box. All sealed. Came in sony box with tmo logos. Has tmo bloatware. Came with tmo simcard in box . Bought from Sony's ebay store as brand new.

I peeled the factory plastic off the device myself.

The bootup has the tmobile logo. When powering off it shows tmobile.

I'm saying it only came with 5 unlock attempts. I didn't use up a.single attempt as I have no idea what the code is and im not enough of a risk taker to random guess when there's only a limited number of attempts .

Imei is clean. It's not blacklisted. No money owed on it. Paid 250 usd.

Im sure this version didnt come factory unlocked.

But as I was told online it didnt matter and I shouldnt have problems using it on metro

But obviously I am and its too late to send it back as I opened it up. Started rooting and customizing the phone so when I did get it unlocked and activated it'd be ready to go

So I'm stuck with only one option...getting it over to metro and that's where I. Need help.

Metro won't do anything for except point the finger at tmo and tmo points the finger at me

Only thing I can suggest given your situation is to make sure you get it unlocked by T-Mobile. That's the main thing. None of this paying $50 for some 3rd-party code. Have T-Mobile do it, then you *know* you're good.

I've never witnessed anyone having trouble getting T-Mobile to unlock a phone, but suppose they absolutely refuse unless you get T-Mobile service for a little while. Would that be so bad? They offer deals about like Metro's, you'd save $50 on an iffy code and you could still move to Metro later.

Well waiting is the idea so far. Thats why im trying to get a more definite answer of what's required for me to get the unlock code for tmo.

If having a prepaid account 40days alone is all that's required...ill do it . Its 6 bucks. But if I have to spend 50+ and wait that long I might as well get it unlocked by third party suppliers because then I wouldn't be waiting two months.

Third party option is my 2nd to last backup plan.

If all else fails ill just have to put it. On ebay n hope I can get it for 250ish.

Ive only had it a week. Never activated. Just turned on and some apps installed but not really used

Back
Top Bottom