• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tor trouble

Rgarner

Android Expert
I got on Tor and googoo asked if I wanted it to save a password. NO I DO NOT. Then I attempted a download but the connection timed out, more than once. It did show that I downloaded, although I could not find it in Simple Files. I shut down Tor and had the same experience when I fired it up again. Is googoo somehow involved in this (beyond the password)? How do I get them to mind their own business for once? Cache clearing is probably not enough. I don't want to lose searches or anything that way. Lord knows I am tempted to do something about googoo and/or their "play services".

It was third party. I've had Tor for a while. Isn't it supposed to be secure? How is googoo messing with it?

It was third party. I've had Tor for a while. Isn't it supposed to be secure? How is googoo messing with it?
Tor is a third-party service that will add a layer of private connectivity to your online access, beyond Google's oversight. But you are using an Android device, and that is going to Google's attempt to monitor what you do on it. Those are two different aspects, or in simpler terms one is external to your phone, the other internal.

I got on Tor and googoo asked if I wanted it to save a password. NO I DO NOT. Then I attempted a download but the connection timed out, more than once. It did show that I downloaded, although I could not find it in Simple Files. I shut down Tor and had the same experience when I fired it up again. Is googoo somehow involved in this (beyond the password)? How do I get them to mind their own business for once? Cache clearing is probably not enough. I don't want to lose searches or anything that way. Lord knows I am tempted to do something about googoo and/or their "play services".

Tor requiring a password? And presumably an account? That sounds rather suspicious to me.

I used to use Tor myself, but only on MacOS and Linux, and it never required anything like accounts and passwords. I'd just run the Tor client, and as long as it had up to date Node Lists, it was good to do.

A whole premise of Tor(The Onion Router), was to offer anonymity for Tor users, and to not be traceable.

Which particular Tor app are you using, that's requiring a password? The Tor network itself is secure. I've never used Tor on Android myself, only on computers. These days I use VPNs, after China blocked Tor access.

It was a website I got to from Tor. I was downloading something other than an app. The third time there was not interference from googoo. How do I get them to stop bothering me?

It was a website I got to from Tor. I was downloading something other than an app. The third time there was not interference from googoo. How do I get them to stop bothering me?

So you downloaded and installed it from the official website at The Tor Project | Privacy & Freedom Online ?
I just tried it on my Samsung phone, it connected after enabling the "Snowflake" Bridge, and there was NO password nonsense.

I never have to use a password to get on Tor. It's the website that requires it. I don't care about that, but I don't want googoo bothering about it.

I wish my issues with Tor were as minor. Each time I tried it, Cloudflare or some other crazy CDN would block my access to the web. Couldn't even click links on DuckDuckGo without being forced to play Captchas.

YouTube viewing through the Tor cloud is....interesting....

What's CDN? Is that some kind of vpn? As for yucktube, since it's googoo I avoid it about as much as I can. There is a version called new pipe that makes it possible to watch without their crap, but I've been told that googoo hates it enough that it's necessary to update it about every couple if weeks because of their needless, desperate attacks on it.

A CDN, or Content Delivery Network, (such as Cloudflare) is a man-in-the-middle service deployed by webmasters to stop potential attackers, DDoS attacks, spam and the like. Sadly, Cloudflare has become more like an Anti-Privacy service that always makes browsing with Tor a pain in the neck. The 'endless Captcha' game along with it outright blocking you from specific websites, especially those relying on Cloudflare, are the worst. Cloudflare actively blocks Tor exit nodes. Cloudflare is also infamous for supporting white supremacists (well, it's rumored) so I want no part of them anyway, but sadly 90% of the internet uses them, including Xenforo, which runs this forum. Can't even DuckDuckGo without a Cloudflare ban. Forget Apkmirror.com too.

I wish I could find a proper YouTube alternative, since I follow a ton of folks there with interesting content (such as Shango066 and radiotvphononut--two vintage tech content creators with great commentary) and while some might bleed over to more than one service, such as Odysee or Bitchute, it's impossible to know if I can find all my favorite content creators on alternative platforms. I don't think it's possible to leave YouTube without giving far too much up right now.

Last edited:
A CDN, or Content Delivery Network, (such as Cloudflare) is a man-in-the-middle service deployed by webmasters to stop potential attackers, DDoS attacks, spam and the like. Sadly, Cloudflare has become more like an Anti-Privacy service that always makes browsing with Tor a pain in the neck. The 'endless Captcha' game along with it outright blocking you from specific websites, especially those relying on Cloudflare, are the worst. Cloudflare actively blocks Tor exit nodes. Cloudflare is also infamous for supporting white supremacists (well, it's rumored) so I want no part of them anyway, but sadly 90% of the internet uses them, including Xenforo, which runs this forum. Can't even DuckDuckGo without a Cloudflare ban. Forget Apkmirror.com too.

I wish I could find a proper YouTube alternative, since I follow a ton of folks there with interesting content (such as Shango066 and radiotvphononut--two vintage tech content creators with great commentary) and while some might bleed over to more than one service, such as Odysee or Bitchute, it's impossible to know if I can find all my favorite content creators on alternative platforms. I don't think it's possible to leave YouTube without giving far too much up right now.
Well that's how it is. if CloudFlare detects your IP is coming some whatever data centre, rather than a real end-user carrier or ISP IP address.

I'm using a paid VPNs, Astrill and Nord, and even AF kicked off with, YOUR IP ADDRESS IS BANNED occasionally.
If I don't use a VPN, I can't access Android Forums.

I'm sorry to read that. I didn't know AF was banned in China. What is CloudFlare? Why do they care about these things? Is there any way around it?

I'm sorry to read that. I didn't know AF was banned in China.

Google is banned in China. I've made many posts over the years on AF, about how to install and use Google on Chinese phones and tablets. So I'm guessing the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology(MIIS) in Beijing took a look at the posts and threads on Android Forums, and they didn't like what they saw. The MIIS is an organ of the CCP that censors the internet in China.

What is CloudFlare? Why do they care about these things? Is there any way around it?

Really the only way around it is to appear from an IP address that's assigned to a real end-user ISP or carrier. VPN servers and most TOR nodes reside on servers in data centres. Unfortunaretly CloudFlare assumes IP addresses originating in data centres, are doing bad things on the internet, like DDoS attacks, spammers, and bots. And so CloudFlare websites, might show CAPTCHAS or just ban those IP addresses from viewing their contents.

This is CloudFlare's own description of what they do:-
Cloudflare is a global network designed to make everything you connect to the Internet secure, private, fast, and reliable.
Secure your websites, APIs, and Internet applications.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom