• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Transfer ALL data from one phone to another?

louis2008

Actually, how can it be done?
I mean, everything, nothing is missed, including the sms message. Is there any one apps or method that would do it? My old android phone is going to fail because the battery is dying......

It really would make a difference if you posted what phone model you have. There are manufacturer utilities, like Samsung's Smart Switch, that might be all you need but it's dependent on just what phone you have (i.e. Smart Switch isn't compatible with every Samsung device, and only some non-Samsung devices, and some others are only manufacturer-only specific).

One thing to keep in mind is you can't rely upon just manually copying what you want, a lot of things are stored in restricted access to a typical file manager.A good example is your text messages, they're not just out in the open in your user data partition, they're inside a mini-database file in a protected, system-level directory. There are some really good utilities like the 'SMS Backup & Restore' app to back up items like SMS messages and phone call logs, and with your pics that are accessible to you, the Google Photos app will automatically backup your photo and video library but at some point you'll be using a bunch of different apps to backup up your data, and they'll be retained in different places (in your phone's internal storage, a microSD card, or an online storage service).
Unfortunately, unlike an iPhone where there's always been a very comprehensive backup and restore feature, with Android we're not as fortunate. There is no free service that can reliably transfer your entire user account from any Android device to any different make of Android device, one of the benefits of Android is its open qualities but that variety can also involve compromises. You might want to look into using Google's One app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...android.apps.subscriptions.red&hl=en_US&gl=US
The One app will, more or less, handle your Android phone's entire user account, but there are caveats
-- It's free but only up to 15GB which realistically isn't going to be enough for most people. But it's pricing for more storage is very reasonable:
https://one.google.com/about/plans
-- It's a Google service so yeah, you'll be uploading your personal data up into Google's online servers so that just increases the potential for its data mining on you.
-- It's a Google service so be cognizant about how much you rely upon One as a long-term backup service. Google's history on killing off its own products is a sad trend now. Or in other words, use One to accomplish a task (backing up your phone to restore your user account elsewhere), but don't be surprised if Google kills it in a few years.

Usually, mobile transfer tools like Cloneit, MobileTrans, Coolmuster Mobile Transfer, etc. can help you transfer sms messages between Android phones. Also, data including contacts, apps, photos, music, videos, ebooks can be transferred by such tools. But do remember that app data and system setting data, etc. can not be transferred. Hope this will be your help.

When I get a new phone, I usually perform a fresh install of all applications. This, I believe, may help to reduce bugs and any other unforeseen issues. However, I'm weary of going through all the tedious steps to do it that way, and Smart Transfer seems to be the best option for sharing apps. I can migrate all of my applications in a few easy clicks without having to go through a lengthy process.

Back
Top Bottom