• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transfering app data on warranty replacement

Hi folks. I have a Samsung Vibrant that I am having replaced under warranty, due to GPS issues. T-Mobile was reasonably good about getting it sent out, so no complaints there. However, I now need to figure out how to get all of my data transferred over nicely.

According to T-Mobile, I can redownload apps since those are tied to my account, but other than that I'm on my own. (Joy...) So, what's the best way to do a "full replication" over to the new device? Apps, app data (settings, game high scores, etc.), account information, local PIM data (I think I have a few local records, unfortunately), etc.

Poking around the forums it seems a fair number of people recommend the Titanium Backup app for those playing with ROMs. However, my phone is not rooted. I have upgraded it to Android 2.2 using the Kies updater (PITA, and only worked on a Mac, ironically), and if the new hardware doesn't have the 2.2 ROM already I will be updating that, but otherwise I haven't done anything to the ROM nor do I expect to.

So what's the cleanest way to migrate over to the new hardware? Is Titanium still the best route, or is there a simpler option? Any links to good tutorials or walk-throughs?

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to backup your app data unless you root (that I know of). Rooting does not mean changing your ROM, and it is a fairly simple process. XDA Forums would be the best place to read up on rooting the Vibrant.

If you are okay with losing app data, my backup pro (4.99 in the market) will save all of your settings, sms, mms, call logs, homescreen setup, etc without root.

There are some free backup apps in the market for certain apps (angry birds that I can think of) That don't require root as well.

Reactions: Robinelli
Upvote 0
That seems like a rather moronic limitation of the OS... You can't back it up without breaking it? What about those devices that aren't dead-simple to root? (Hello Motorola...)

Sigh.

OK, so I'd have to root it, and then follow the directions from these posts:

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/233251-how-titanium-backup-tips.html
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/47323-review-titanium-backup.html

One other thing T-Mobile recommended was leveraging 2.2's ability to push apps to my SD card. Is that a worthwhile thing to do now for backup purposes? Will it make the backup smaller/faster or just confuse the poor phone? (I've yet to have any issue with space thanks to the roomy Vibrant, so I've not bothered moving any to the card yet.)

Upvote 0
I am curious since I go through phones at what some would say is an alarming rate...what is so important that is stored on your phones that causes panic at the thought of replacing/reseting it? contacts, emails, callendar etc wwill re-sync when you sign back in, all apps can be re downloaded, and generally pictures, music and other things go on the sd card

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones