• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transferring files to Windows

jojo99

When I plug a USB cable from Windows 8.1 to my Nexus 5, nothing happens. I don't get a file explorer window showing the N5 as a pseudo disk drive any longer. A refresh in an open file explorer window does nothing. There does not seem to be anything I can do to make the N5 show up in Windows so that I can transfer files to the PC?

P.S. I CAN transfer files via Airdroid but it is a PITA. It is a lot easier with the USB cable, so I would like to get that method working again..

Make sure you have proper drivers for Nexus 5 on PC
Make sure you have developer options activated on device
USB Debugging is checked in settings.

Are you getting indication that the phone is actually connected to the PC's USB at all, like USB notifications on the phone or PC, and/or USB device connected sounds from Windows? Have you tried another USB cord, also have you tried a different USB port on the PC?

Make sure you have proper drivers for Nexus 5 on PC
Make sure you have developer options activated on device
USB Debugging is checked in settings.
Don't know anything about special drivers. Did not need any when this was working a few months back.

Had Developer options active. Turned on USB Debugging. Restarted phone after the change. But unfortunately it didn't change anything.

Found this instruction during a search but while it seemed to work for others, does not work for me.
https://www.androidpit.com/nexus-5-problem-connecting-to-pc

Last edited:
Are you getting indication that the phone is actually connected to the PC's USB at all, like USB notifications on the phone or PC, and/or USB device connected sounds from Windows? Have you tried another USB cord, also have you tried a different USB port on the PC?
No sounds evident when I plug the phone USB cable into the PC. Tried front ports, back ports and ports on an add-on card (all USB3). No change on any port. Tried another cable but no change. Regular cable works fine to charge the phone.

No sounds evident when I plug the phone USB cable into the PC. Tried front ports, back ports and ports on an add-on card (all USB3). No change on any port. Tried another cable but no change. Regular cable works fine to charge the phone.
Do you see any trace of it in the device manager?

Hello, I'm getting the exact same problem as jojo99, ever since I updated my Nexus 5 to android 6.0 OTA. As jojo99 said, the device worked fine just a few days ago on the computer (windows 7 here) without ever turning on USB debugging etc etc. Just plugged it in, unlocked the device, and it would show up in the Explorer like any external hard drive or thumbdrive would. Now it shows up as nexus 5 on the lefthand side under the "my computer" tab, however I'm unable to browse its contents, it's just blank.... :/ I even tried to hook it up on a laptop running windows 10, and it had the same issue. All this began after the OTA Marshmallow update.

I just upgraded. I get the same thing, however on mine at least there is a solution. For some reason, when it first connects, it is a "charge only" connection. I have to tap the notification which says "USB for Charging" and, on the pop -up menu, select "Transfer Files (MTP)" and then all is fine.

What is odd is there is a settings panel called "Storage and USB", but as far as I can tell it only shows storage, it doesn't have any USB settings and the connection always defaults to charge only and you have to change it to MTP each time, manually.

Back
Top Bottom