• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Transferring Number

ryan6

Lurker
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to transfer my phone number on my Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime to my LG Stylo 4?

I ended up having to start up a new contract with MetroPCS around 2-3 weeks ago for my LG Stylo 4, and had to choose a new phone number besides my old one. I was given a free phone because of a coupon the system gave me, and that is the Galaxy J3 Prime.

I planned on using the second phone as an MP3 player where I just download music to it and use my LG Stylo 4 as my main phone, but for some reason they put the new number on the new phone and only it has service, etc. My LG Stylo 4 has my old number, but I can only use it with wifi and can't make calls or send texts, and that's not what I wanted at all. So now I have the new (it's actually pretty old and a used phone, actually) phone with service and a new number, and my GOOD phone, the LG Stylo 4, is useless without wifi and I can't stand it.

I tried to look up if I'm able to change the phone number to my LG Stylo 4 from the Galaxy J3 Prime, but it said things about switching the batteries around and that's kind of hard to do considering you're able to take the battery out of the Galaxy, but not the LG Stylo.

Is this an issue I'm able to fix on my own, or do I need to head out to a MetroPCS store to do what I want?

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to transfer my phone number on my Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime to my LG Stylo 4?

I ended up having to start up a new contract with MetroPCS around 2-3 weeks ago for my LG Stylo 4, and had to choose a new phone number besides my old one. I was given a free phone because of a coupon the system gave me, and that is the Galaxy J3 Prime.

I planned on using the second phone as an MP3 player where I just download music to it and use my LG Stylo 4 as my main phone, but for some reason they put the new number on the new phone and only it has service, etc. My LG Stylo 4 has my old number, but I can only use it with wifi and can't make calls or send texts, and that's not what I wanted at all. So now I have the new (it's actually pretty old and a used phone, actually) phone with service and a new number, and my GOOD phone, the LG Stylo 4, is useless without wifi and I can't stand it.

I tried to look up if I'm able to change the phone number to my LG Stylo 4 from the Galaxy J3 Prime, but it said things about switching the batteries around and that's kind of hard to do considering you're able to take the battery out of the Galaxy, but not the LG Stylo.

Is this an issue I'm able to fix on my own, or do I need to head out to a MetroPCS store to do what I want?

There are some misconceptions in your query that make the matter of moving your phone number from one phone to another a lot more a hassle than it needs to be. Your phone number is directly tied to your cellular account, and it's the SIM card, not the battery, that retains your account info. The battery supplies power, it does not have any capability to store information or data.
And it won't be a matter of just moving your old SIM card from your old phone to your new phone won't work out as you're also switching carriers. Migrating your phone number from one carrier service to a different one has to be done by an interaction between those two carriers, you cannot do this on your own and there is no 'trick' or 'hack' to do this.
Also keep in mind that WiFi connectivity has nothing to do with cellular connectivity, both are wireless ways to get online access but they're also different and completely independent from each other. When you're having problems with WiFi connectivity, you need to look into ISP broadband and/or your router, when you're having problems with cellular (mobile data) that's a carrier matter.
So you can use WiFI connectivity for both of your phones, you can only have cellular service however only on one phone or the other. (... also note that phone service is tied to your cellular account, not WiFi, unless you're adding in WiFi Calling, a different issue).
But getting back to matter of switching carriers, you need to have your current carrier switch your phone number from your previous carrier.

Back
Top Bottom