• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trouble swapping phones

Both me and my daughter have HTC Wildfire S. She broke the glass on her phone. I decided to by a new phone for me, and hand down my Wildfire S to her.
I went and bought myself the HTC EVO V 4G, and swapped phones online, without a glitch.
When I tried to swap her phone to my old one, it didn't work. I called VM, and spent more than an hour with 3 different people, and they weren't able to swap the phones either. The last guy told me that due to the repeated attempts online, I have been blocked for swapping for 2 hours.

I tried call again later, but didn't get through, so I tried swap online again, with no success.

I will wait another 2 hours and try call them again.

Anybody know what the problem is? Could there be a 24h wait for my old phone to "de-activate"?
Could the fact that my phone is rooted/custom rom, have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, forgot to follow up on this post here...

After hours and days on the phone with the VM CS, they finally told me that the problem was due to an ongoing system update at VM. My old phone was on the new system, and my daughters wasn't transferred yet, thus her account couldn't be attached to my old phone.

The CS lady manually transferred the account to the new system, and told me to wait another 2 hours, and try again.

This time, the online process did go a step further, but now saying that this MEID is not available.

I then took the phone and re-activated it. To answer your question, MacFett, I did restore the phone to full stock, including factory OTA update, just to be safe.
And, to my surprise, it activated it to my daughters account!

So now the swap is complete :).

Afterwards, I went back and unlocked and re-rooted the phone, a must for the Wildfire S, due to the limited internal memory.

Reactions: MacFett
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones