• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TWRP Dev

hroark13

Android Expert
Recognized Developer

OK, so I tried to make a TWRP for this phone. I am not sure if this will work or not, but for those who are brave, you can try it.

WARNING I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR PHONE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Download this apk, copy it to you sd card and install it.
https://www.mediafire.com/?8miz8yv8vxehpm8
Get Temp Root with Kingo, don’t reboot
Open the TWRP app from the app drawer
Click Install Recovery (ONLY DO THIS ONCE, it backs up your current (stock) recovery partition to /data/media/0/recbak.img (internal storage), then it flashes the TWRP image to your recovery partition)

IF YOU CLICK Install recovery 2 times or more, it will overwrite the backup of the stock recovery that we may need, so do not click Install recovery again, until you copy the recbak.img onto your computer for safe keeping

Click Reboot Recovery

At this point it may or may not boot into TWRP, I am not sure if the TWRP Image I made will boot or not
If it does not boot, you will probably need to pull the battery out to reboot the phone back to Android

I would also like for you to upload the recbak.img so I can have a copy of it

I was able to access a Zmax 2 (ATT Go version)

The boot loader is locked, the boot and recovery images need to be signed

so no TWRP, CWM or Custom Kernels

Last edited:
Thanks, man! Should this work on all versions of ZMAX 2? I'm using the unlocked Z955A. I'm happy to be the one to test it, provided I can get my phone to do the temp root. So far, I've gotten "root fail" errors using Kingo PC. I'll keep trying.

Temp root worked; Clicked "Install Recovery" on TWRP app; it asked for root access which I granted, and the button turned yellow. How do I know when it's done? Do I wait for a while until it tells me, or should I just hit "Reboot Recovery" now?

EDIT: Nevermind, it told me Success! Not finding any "recbak.img", though...

Last edited:
UPDATE: Temp root worked; Clicked "Install Recovery" on TWRP app; it asked for root access which I granted, and the button turned yellow. How do I know when it's done? Do I wait for a while until it tells me, or should I just hit "Reboot Recovery" now?

EDIT: Nevermind, it told me Success! Not finding any "recbak.img", though...

the recbak.img would be on the internal sd card if it worked, if it is not there, I would think there is no root

Give me another few minutes to poke around, and if I don't figure it out, then sure.

EDIT: Crap, I don't have time right now. I'll have to continue working on this later today.

yeah, I am out of time myself, don't know if I will find any more time to work on this

I was able to access a Zmax 2 (ATT Go version)

The boot loader is locked, the boot and recovery images need to be signed

so no TWRP, CWM or Custom Kernels

also flashing the stock boot image to the recovery partition does not work

so what you guys need to do is bother ZTE for a boot loader unlock

I have a feeling if they ever do find a bootloader unlock or system write unlock for the Axon 7 we will find the same method is used for the Z958.

ZTE's reply:

Dear Valued ZTE Customer

Thanks for contacting ZTE.

We are sorry to inform you that we do not support unlocking the bootloader and rooting the device.

We apologize for the inconvenience

Should there be further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards!

My Reply:

Well I'm glad you told me now. I was preparing to purchase an Axon 7 but will have to pick something else if you are not going to provide an unlocked bootloader so I can use a personal recovery to backup my phone. I'll make sure to spread the news in the forums since some people thought ZTE had stated they were going to provide an unlocked bootloader or unlocking method for the Axon_7.

Back
Top Bottom