• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Undecided: Galaxy Gear or Gear 2?

Strings

Aug 15, 2010
www.bacaworld.org
So... I like the look of the Gear. Played with it a bit when they first came out, but didn't want to take the $300 plunge.

Now, taxes are coming back soon. And, with the announcement of the Gear 2, I'm betting the prices on the original Gear will drop. Will admit that there are aspects of the 2 that I like... but are they worth waiting for (and paying more)?

So what is the collected opinion of the forum: snag a first gen Gear, or wait for the Gear 2?

To me it depends on the price but id wait and see if the rumours of a Google (Nexus) watch come true.
If i had a Gear, id want to root it to make it more useful.
If google make a watch i think it will be more versatile without root. Maybe google wont make a watch though and just make an android OS for smart watches.
The Gear 2 is a lot nicer than the original one imo but its really down to how much the price drops by.
Also a big difference is that the Gear 2 doesnt run android so if you do plan on hacking it thats something to take into consideration. The 1st one runs android and you can install play store and run android apps on it :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones