• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unfortunately, Phone has stopped.

Howdy, recently bought an Event and a Hydro (my first androids; so yes, "What am I, like a hundred?"). Intended to use the Event with an ad-supported cell carrier and the Hydro with some wifi based service, so never activated them with VM or Boost.
Did a lot research and successfully rooted both devices, added a 8GB micro sd to the Event, then backed-up each device with Titanium (also a copy to my desktop's hd), and successfully activated the Event with the ad-supported carrier. I then partitioned the Event's micro sd so I could eventually use Link2card to move some apps to the ext2 partition.
So far, everything was great, except I still got the "hands free activation" requests on both phones after booting. I read somewhere you could eliminate this by opening ES File Explorer>system>app and changing the Mms.apk, Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk extensions to .bak. This removed the request message, but also killed the phone's phone function on the Event. I thought, wrongly, that I'd just back-out the .bak extensions one at a time till the message disappears and the dialer works. Started with switching the TelephonyProvider.bak back to TelephonyProvider.apk; bad idea!
After re-boot: the Event screen> the Android screen > then a window "Unfortunately, Phone has stopped. OK "
Tapping on 'OK' just brings back the window again after a moment. Was able to shutdown the phone by holding the power button and very quickly using the 'Power Off' function while the 'OK' was processing.
Couldn't think of anything else to do, so removed the battery over-night and decided to attempt a factory reset. Went through the recommended Volume Down / Power buttons process; each step ended with one or more "E: Cannot load volume/ misc!" replies at the bottom of the page. After reboot, I get the "Unfortunately, Phone...." message again, so I'm guessing
the reset didn't work.
Short of some Hydro or PC to Event (via USB cable) miracle fix, I'm at a loss as to what can be done. Anyone have any ideas?

I don;t know Kyocera, but with most phones, your best bet at the moment would be to find a stock ROM and the tool used to install it - then install the stock ROM.

Then, if you're going to be playing games with the phone, learn about a custom Recovery and how to make a nandroid backup. Then if you mess the phone's ROM up again, you can just restore the last working backup.

You could try contacting VM support, and ask them for a replacement. Some folks have done this and been successful at getting new phones. Don't blow up in their faces while you interact with them, esp. on the phone line.

Back
Top Bottom