• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uninstall system inbuilt apps

Supratip

I have Coolpad Note 3 Lite and it's rooted. I want to completely uninstall inbuilt apps(not just disable) from the phone. How can I do that? I'm well aware of critical apps required to run the phone properly.

I have Coolpad Note 3 Lite and it's rooted. I want to completely uninstall inbuilt apps(not just disable) from the phone. How can I do that? I'm well aware of critical apps required to run the phone properly.

Sound like might you know what you're doing. If the device is rooted, surely you can just uninstall and remove the apps you don't want? I'm not familiar with the Coolpad Note 3 Lite, so don't know what those apps are.

Aren't there any superuser like apps that enables the user to uninstall inbuilt apps? I need to know how I can do that.
Might be same app is for every phones.

If you need a root app to do the uninstalling then try Titanium Backup.

However, I would use your custom recovery to take a system backup first. That way if anything does break you can simply restore your ROM (I'm assuming you have a custom recovery because I'd never myself root a phone without first installing one).

Out of interest, why do you think uninstalling the apps is better than disabling them? Disabling removes updates and all data, so leaves only an inactive copy in the /system partition. Since you can't use space in the /system partition for your own stuff(*), and the partition won't get smaller as a result of your uninstalling apps from it, I don't see any advantage in removing these apps.

(*) Actually you can use Titanium to make a user app into a system app (at least the paid version - I've never used the free one). But since any updates to that app will use space in the /data partition, and if the app needs root privileges you can grant them without moving it, the advantages of doing this are very minor.

If you need a root app to do the uninstalling then try Titanium Backup.

However, I would use your custom recovery to take a system backup first. That way if anything does break you can simply restore your ROM (I'm assuming you have a custom recovery because I'd never myself root a phone without first installing one).

Out of interest, why do you think uninstalling the apps is better than disabling them? Disabling removes updates and all data, so leaves only an inactive copy in the /system partition. Since you can't use space in the /system partition for your own stuff(*), and the partition won't get smaller as a result of your uninstalling apps from it, I don't see any advantage in removing these apps.

(*) Actually you can use Titanium to make a user app into a system app (at least the paid version - I've never used the free one). But since any updates to that app will use space in the /data partition, and if the app needs root privileges you can grant them without moving it, the advantages of doing this are very minor.
Yes I know what you said but I can see some inbuilt apps taking up even a amall amount of space like 40 or 50 MB when they are disabled. So removing them will get me more space and the internal storage will be freed up and I could install more apps. I mean I can see those apps taking up space even when they're disabled.

I've uploaded a screen shot of some of my apps. Google drive is disabled but still it takes up 32 MB.

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_125826.JPG
    IMG_20190501_125826.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
40-50 MB isn't small. The only one I have that does that is Chrome (probably because Google think it's special - I don't).

Then you need root. And personally I'd recommend a ROM backup before fiddling with the system (as said previously).

40-50 MB isn't small. The only one I have that does that is Chrome (probably because Google think it's special - I don't).

Then you need root. And personally I'd recommend a ROM backup before fiddling with the system (as said previously).
The reason I know that this space can be freed up with uninstalling is because I've done the same thing with my previous phone Hitech Amaze S305. I literally got more space by uninstalling those so I thought that wouldn't be different with this one.

Back
Top Bottom