• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unresponsive touchscreen and others

Dkier

SK17i
Rooted Android 2.3.4
Kernel ver. 2.6.32.9-perf
Build 4.0.2.A.0.42

Lately my phone's touchscreen is not responding at random times. I noticed that usually happens when I put it on my pocket for a while(QWERTY keyboard works though) then pull it out. I had to wait for a couple of minutes or more for it to be responsive.

What is the recommended approach in fixing this? I read that some people fixed their problem by flashing the ROM or something but I like to hear some opinions first.

It's either a physical or thermal problem, most likely. To eliminate the thermal possibility, when you're in a comfortable climate (like indoors), put the phone in your pocket, screen facing away from you. If the problem stops, either the heat from your leg or the cold from the outdoors is causing the screen to not respond.

Otherwise it's going to be difficult to diagnose (and not possible from here) because it could be an intermittent crimp on a wire in a connector, an intermittent connection from a wire to the touchscreen, or almost anything else associated with the touchscreen being intermittent. And a problem that can't be reproduced at will is almost impossible to diagnose.

Most shops would change the screen. Then, if it didn't fix the problem they'd change something else. And so on. By the time they'd finished you would have paid for about 3 new phones. I prefer finding the cause, then just fixing that. But, as I said, if it's completely random, and you can't figure out any commonality, it's going to be nearly impossible to diagnose. (It's an older phone, it's probably had its knocks, so something probably worked loose, but having enough experience to know that doesn't lead us any closer to a solution.)

SK17i
Rooted Android 2.3.4
Kernel ver. 2.6.32.9-perf
Build 4.0.2.A.0.42

Lately my phone's touchscreen is not responding at random times. I noticed that usually happens when I put it on my pocket for a while(QWERTY keyboard works though) then pull it out. I had to wait for a couple of minutes or more for it to be responsive.

What is the recommended approach in fixing this? I read that some people fixed their problem by flashing the ROM or something but I like to hear some opinions first.

Try updating to .62/.84 firmware if you want to be on gingerbread .
or .587 if you would like to upgrade to ICS .
It should fix most of touch related errors .

Else ,try flashing Ultimate HD 2.0.2 for MDPI .
CHOOSE MINI PRO in Aroma ...else touch will hard brick.
[ROM][ALL MDPI][.587][PORT] Xperia Ultimate HD

^ I'll try that thanks, will update my findings once I attempted it. Oh and how to update to .62/.84 firmware if the touchscreen doesn't work anymore again? +edit: If I flash ROM to Ultimate HD do I need to reinstall my apps and data?

@Rukbat If all else fails I probably have to send it to the nearest Sony service center. I have this phone since 2012 and its a shame that QWERTY smartphones are hardly made these days... finding an updated replacement is going to be hard.

Thanks for the input guys.

^ I'll try that thanks, will update my findings once I attempted it. Oh and how to update to .62/.84 firmware if the touchscreen doesn't work anymore again? +edit: If I flash ROM to Ultimate HD do I need to reinstall my apps and data?

@Rukbat If all else fails I probably have to send it to the nearest Sony service center. I have this phone since 2012 and its a shame that QWERTY smartphones are hardly made these days... finding an updated replacement is going to be hard.

Thanks for the input guys.

You will need to reinstall all apps and data .Backup apps plus data using Titanium backup .
There are dump FTFs for Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich at XDA . you just need to flash them via Flashtool.

I don't usually post on Android Forums. Just PM me if you need help or contact me on XDA (username : karandpr)

Back
Top Bottom