• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated to 6.0.1 and now Gmail only updates via WiFi

My Galaxy S5 Active (SM-G870A) updated to 6.0.1 this morning and now will only allow me to update Gmail while on WiFi (not my carrier, Straight Talk). I'm guessing there's a button somewhere that needs to be checked/un-checked, but I've not been able to find the answer so far. It's a busy weekend here with storm cleanup, so any help on how to fix this would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks! ;-)

MM has permissions for every thing explicitly.

Go to Settings/Permissions IIRC,

in any event, you need to find Permissions and turn on the ones you need to have access to 'whatever'

I am using my Note 4 today, the S5 which is on MM is not with me.

Have you looked to be sure that the DATA radio is actually turned ON ??
usually you can see that by looking at the top of the screen, providing Notifications is viewable right now.

If not, pull down the Notifications page and enable the bar to be on.

Are you on the hurricane coast of the USA ? I presume so, you said "Straight talk"

6.0.1 has introduced a new feature you probably aren't aware of.
each app has to be manually granted Permission by you to access features of the phone.

goto Settings/Permissions IIRC, don't have my MM phone with me ATM.

I appreciate the advice but I'm not finding 'permissions' anywhere under Settings. Perhaps I'm being a bit too literal; I'm clicking the settings gear on the top, right of the home screen. Also, the following notification buttons are enabled: wifi, location, sound, screen rotation, sync and smart stay. I can also make and receive phone calls. I'll keep digging!

Yep, north Florida. Lots of water and trees down; pretty mild as storms go!

on my S5 stock Verizon phones, there is a "Search" button at the top

I could type in 3 or 4 characters and it would display all of the options that matched,

so, see if that is available on your phone...?

my Note 4 does not offer that feature, alas, and I greatly miss it.

Under the settings option, there's a search box. No luck with "iirc" but I did find 'developer options' and enabled that. Still not working but I'll keep digging.

ummm, "IIRC" is forum shorthand for "If I Recall Correctly"

sorry about that

just enter the 3 characters P E R

that should pull up permissions

Yep, too literal of me! Long day... ;-) I've found settings/apps/application manager which gives me a list of all installed apps. Gmail is my email program. It works when I'm on wifi but not when I'm only accessing my carrier. What do I look for? BTW, if it's easier for you, we can chat later on when you have access to your S5. No rush here.

It appears the APN settings changed when the OS updated. No idea WHY but it's mostly working now. I still need to sort out the correct info to allow the photos that come with a text to download. Yea...

I appreciate the help! Cheers

It appears the APN settings changed when the OS updated. No idea WHY but it's mostly working now. I still need to sort out the correct info to allow the photos that come with a text to download. Yea...

I appreciate the help! Cheers

Can you share what you discovered about the APN settings. I am having the same problem with gmail, and also using Straight talk. Had to reset the Access Point Name just to get 4G working. But like you, am only getting gmail through wifi.

Back
Top Bottom