• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB can't connect to PC after setting change

Dozy Boy

Lurker
First of all, I have a Sony Xperia XZ SO-01J, Android version 6.0.1.

Computers of any kind now do not recognize my device by USB no matter what I do. It is because I told the phone to hide a notification.

That makes it my fault in a way. I was repeatedly needing to PC charge and disconnect my Xperia while at work, returning to my desk several times. Every time I connected to the laptop, a big dialog box would fill the screen asking me whether I wanted to charge or transfer files, etc. At the time I was just needing to charge, and I got tired of seeing the box, especially since nothing would happen for half a minute or more (the charge icon took forever to show up, and I couldn't tell if it was working). So at some point I selected the "Don't show this again" box and told it just to charge the phone.

Now it is stuck like that. Forever. That dialog will never show up, and there is no setting in the Device Connection options to activate data transferring. The phone gets cheeky with me when I select "detect USB device" because it gives me assurance that "no extra steps are required when you connect your Xperia (tm) to a charger or a PC since your Xperia (tm) will detect it automatically". Yeah, except it doesn't. Windows sees nothing, not even in devices and printers.

It's like I broke my phone software-side because of a dumb user interface. "Yeah, I just want to only charge the phone forever because in the next few years I omnisciently foresee that I will NEVER need to transfer files in any direction." Just with one tap. I wish I had locked PC transferring if anything.

I guess it could be worse. I could have accidentally selected "supply power to other devices" forever.

Could someone help me out in this? Is there something I am missing?

Back
Top Bottom