• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Used px2 what should I expect from battery?

dan55

Android Expert
Hi all,
Just got a used px2 off the bay ... was bit worried when I got it that battery had zero charge! ... but after a couple of decent charges doesn’t seem to bad ... but only had 2 days so far :D

Did see that it dropped a good 10% charge over night and that is in flight mode too :/

Normal or am i looking at battery change?

Thanks
Dan

I always charge overnight so have little experience of what the overnight drop is, and virtually none of overnight in flight mode. 10% sounds a little high, but I've not used it that way for a while (like over a year).

You could try installing the AccuBattery app and letting it accumulate data for a few cycles. It will estimate the battery capacity based on the charging. If you want a reference point, it estimates that my almost 2 year old Pixel 2 has 84% of its design capacity 2266 mAh vs 2700). This is a phone which hasn't been abused, but where equally I've taken no particular measures to prolong battery longevity (I almost never run it flat, but use a fast charger most of the time and don't worry about keeping the charge between some minimum and maximum levels).

Hi Hadron.
Ok cool thanks will try that out
...did you used to have a rooted S3? :-)
Cheers
Dan

Yes you definitely should try Accubattery as suggested above. After a couple of days you will have a detailed report about the battery's health. If it's above 75% you are good. Less than 75%, not so good.

No, I never owned an S3. SUroot bought one of those after the Desire, perhaps you were thinking of him?
Ah ok my error ... ah yes good old su root :) ...I did have a desire but most of flashing days were on the s3

charges fast though

... first estimated current capacity from app is about 1400! yikes! :-D
.. assume that will improve with charge cycles as it gets more stats :-\

ah ok thanks yes thought that would be the case ...up to 1700 after second charge to 99%

....screen on seems to use more juice than I expected ...being small and all ....have turned brightness down to 50% ish

Last edited:
Hmm. What level are you charging it from/to? That app gives me fairly consistent estimates when charging from say 20% to 100%, but can be wildly inaccurate for small top-up charges (if you look in the "health" section there's a graph at the bottom. It says it ignores charge cycles where there's < 20% charging, but looking at it I'd say its estimates are unreliable unless there's been at least 60% of a cycle, and at around 20-30% it produces either high or low estimates but never accurate).

hi,
ah ok - what level of charge health are you getting? close to the 2700?

....i generally try and charge from approx 40% (or just below) to around 90% ... as i understand that batteries dont like going beyond those levels :/
cheers

I don't have time for that faff, so I try to avoid running the battery flat but I just charge it overnight, top-up inbetween if I think it would be needed. That means that a 20-100 charge cycle is probably typical for me.

So after almost two years of that type of usage I'm currently showing 2,266 mAh (about 84%). Probably slightly more degeneration than my HTC One got in that time, but I've been lazy and used the supplied fast charger mostly, which will produce more heat than slower charging (or it may just be that it's a different battery pack).

max charge over night! yikes :o :D .... but it seems to be working well if you still have 2266mA :)
...ok cool thanks for the stats

yeah noticed that the pix2 battery does charge much fast than my sony premium (same chip/fast charge stuff i think ... but bigger batt)

cheers

I used my HTC One for 4.5 years and always charged overnight, and it was only in the final year that the battery life became problematic for me. So I genuinely don't think that not charging above 80% or 90% is worth the effort it requires, at least not in my experience. Certainly I'd rather start the day with a full battery than one that's down 20% before I begin, and find myself watching the level and topping-up in the afternoon as a consequence (assuming I'm in a position to do so).

Though I have been wondering whether for my next phone (whenever that is) I'll just use a third-party USB-A charger overnight to ensure that it doesn't fast charge, and keep fast charging options for emergencies. Actually I'd like my next phone not to include a charger, as I really don't need another one; there was a push against bundling chargers with every phone a few years ago, but sadly that went away.

ah i see - yes for sure - use to charge the max out of old phones :D .... but since htc u11 + sony prem etc ... have been more careful about not over charging

yes have got a spare usb c charger at work just in case :D

cheers

seems to have settled at approx 1720mA .... so i guess if i had a new battery fitted that would increase to near the max 2700

I would hope that a new battery would reach or exceed the stated capacity (I don't know the accuracy of this app, and didn't use it when the phone was new, but I generally expect batteries to have at least the stated capacity - my laptops have always slightly exceeded).

They key word here is "hope". I've not looked into replacement batteries for this phone, so don't know how much of a minefield it is finding a good one.

(I remember being burned when buying a replacement for the old Desire: the first one I got, sold as original, didn't even have a temperature sensor, just a cheap resistor which registered the same temperature no matter what. Needless to say that went straight back without my even bothering to find out what its real capacity was).

oh i see right .... was planning to go with the supposed official google pixel fixer (ismash think they are called) .. not sure i would want to try it myself :/

surprised that the little screen uses as much juice as it does :/ ... i know the sony does as it has a big screen

gave it a full 100% charge with a bit of delay after to see what that does to the stats :D .... went up a bit

...unless im imagining it ... it seems to be holding its charge better today after above :/ :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom