• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root User Error - Moto Droid RAZR MAXX (XT912) now bricked! Any Solutions???

My Droid Razr MAXX is Bricked and I really need my phone! Any ideas out there?

Ill start from the beginning, list every single Mod I have done to my phone, where it failed, and why it failed, and see if there is a possible solution. This was my FIRST EVER SMARTPHONE. I had had a samsung basic flip phone for nearly 8 years but I am a huge computer nerd (Windows Specifically) and thought I could learn how to modify an Android. This Bricking and Erroring of my Razr MAXX all had to do with me downloading and installing the wrong ClockWorkMod .zip file, it was CWM_on_boot_REMOVE.zip instead of the correct install file. I wasnt paying attention to the attachments here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1385283. If you look at the bottom you will notice only the remove file is there, because I did not see the other link in the post ITSELF to the CWM_on_boot real package download site. So here, in great detail, is what happened:

Early October 2012 - Recieve Droid Razr MAXX from Verizon. Comes with Android ICS 4.0.4
Mid October 2012 - Razr MAXX rooted using easy ICS root, works fine
Early November 2012 - Bought Motomizer Expert Edition to make overclocking easy, works fine
Late January 2013 - Cought wind of official Jelly Bean OTA and was deciding whether or not to start doing research and get it done
Early February 2013 - Cought wind of Jelly Bean OTA ROOT now possible and so I decide to make the push that night
Early February 2013 - Noticed that on Jelly Bean, many apps run slow/lag quite a bit. Games that are normally so easy to run (i.e. Fruit Ninja)
Early February 2013 - Get fed up with my lagging apps and decide its time for a custom ROM
Just Yesterday - (See Below...)

So what happened Yesterday was I installed Razr Bootstrap.apk and downloaded (or so I thought) CWM_on_boot (ClockWorkMod Recovery - N BOOT) package from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1385283. I hit "Bootstrap" in Razr Bootstrap, it said "successful", I hit "Reboot Recovery" and it reboots into ClockWorkMod Recovery. Well, Turns out it was the CWM_on_boot_REMOVE package instead and not paying attention in ClockWork Mod Recovery, I hit "Install from SD" (NOT "Install Update from SD"). Here I am thinking everything went fine and dandy, then the phone rebooted after the "Removal"... Now it gives me this screen on boot:

ENCRYPTION UNSUCCESSFUL
Encryption was interrupted and can't complete. As a result, the data on your phone is no longer accessible. To resume using your phone, you need to perform a factory reset. When you set up your phone after the reset, you'll have an opportunity to restore any data that was backed up to your Google Account. (Below appears a small square button, it says "Restore Phone"

I have tried the reset button, it goes to the reset screen and appears to work, just to reboot to the "ENCRYPTION UNSUCCESSFUL" screen yet again, and does this over and over no matter how many times I try. I have a Micro-SD adapter and so I re-loaded the Jelly Bean OTA .zip file as well as the real CWM_on_boot package but cannot install them from the stock recovery mode screen. AP Fastboot goes to a screen where it says my phone is "Locked".

That is all the information as far as I can remember, if you need specifics feel free to ask. I was wondering if there was a way to reverse my CWM-on_boot_REMOVE error and simply remove all of the tweaks I have ever performed (i.e. get rid of modified kernel and JB and install original ICS and factory Kernel) and restore the phone to the day I pulled it out of the box back in October. After this mix up, I dont ever plan to use custom ROMs or OTA leaks ever again. Just a simple root on stock phone with some overclocking will do for me.

Look for an SBF file here (SBF=factory image for Moto). You may need to do some research to see which you want, i haven't done this since a D2. Also, download the latest version of RSDLite (this is a PC program that alows you to install an SBF file) from motorolla. This will restore your device to out of the box condition.

I hope this helps get you up and running.

Reactions: wallacengineer
Upvote 0
If he upgraded to JB then that link won't work... Looks like he'll need http://www.batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/UnbrickXT912Jellybean.zip because there, to my knowledge, hasn't been a release of the JB fastboot files.

Hey guys thanks for the links I also have an account on XDA developers Forum website thier processes failed below is details and link to thread I am about to try your method. Thanks in advance!

Details:

I tried to find RSD 6.1.4 but only found version 5.7 but it said it was compatable with the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX so I downloaded and installed it onto my laptop. I located the official stock rom here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1767255. I tried flashing this ROM and it failed at step 12/16: "boot.img". So I tried Droid Razr Utility 1.8.2 and again everything wen well except for 'boot' but on this utility it gave me the error:

writing 'boot'... INFOPreflash validation failure
FAILED <remote: >

Thread Link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38035306#post38035306

Upvote 0
Hey Guys I just tried it and unfortunately it did not work :(.

While the UnbrickXT912JellyBean.bat file ran beautifully, the OTA .zip file would not install. When at recovery screen, it says "E: signiature verification failed"

Also, Boot Animation is completely gone ever since the XDA Developers method failed. The initial "Motorola Dual Core Technology" Logo appears, then it goes to a blank black screen and nothing happens.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys I just tried it and unfortunately it did not work :(.

While the UnbrickXT912JellyBean.bat file ran beautifully, the OTA .zip file would not install. When at recovery screen, it says "E: signiature verification failed"

Also, Boot Animation is completely gone ever since the XDA Developers method failed. The initial "Motorola Dual Core Technology" Logo appears, then it goes to a blank black screen and nothing happens.

Sounds like the ota.zip is corrupt. Try downloading it again.

Yeah, unfortunately the boot screen )etc) is because you tried flashing back to ICS when on JB.

Upvote 0
Sounds like the ota.zip is corrupt. Try downloading it again.

Yeah, unfortunately the boot screen )etc) is because you tried flashing back to ICS when on JB.

So does this mean I am completely screwed from trying to flash back to ICS? Is there a way to flash Jelly Bean? I have noticed ever since trying the XDA method that the "Dual Core Technology" has reappeared below the initial Motorola boot screen. What should I do from here? Ill try copying new copy of OTA to my Micro SD card. Luckily transfering files is easy for me as I have a MicroSD adapter for direct connection with my laptop.

Upvote 0
So does this mean I am completely screwed from trying to flash back to ICS? Is there a way to flash Jelly Bean? I have noticed ever since trying the XDA method that the "Dual Core Technology" has reappeared below the initial Motorola boot screen. What should I do from here? Ill try copying new copy of OTA to my Micro SD card. Luckily transfering files is easy for me as I have a MicroSD adapter for direct connection with my laptop.

Negative. This is one, if not the only, advantage to a locked bootloader. As long as you can access the bootloader you can normally save yourself. This situation sucks though because of the JB OTA "disaster.". If JB has meant to be released then we would have FB files available for it and it would make recovery much easier. :)

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Look for an SBF file here (SBF=factory image for Moto). You may need to do some research to see which you want, i haven't done this since a D2. Also, download the latest version of RSDLite (this is a PC program that alows you to install an SBF file) from motorolla. This will restore your device to out of the box condition.

I hope this helps get you up and running.

If he upgraded to JB then that link won't work... Looks like he'll need http://www.batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR/UnbrickXT912Jellybean.zip because there, to my knowledge, hasn't been a release of the JB fastboot files.

But it's not possible to go back to ics... I'm assuming you tried to install something that you tried to install something that want meant for jellybean...

Hey there guys! Thank you all so much for the excellent support! Over the past few days there has been blood, sweat, and tears over this but I have finally done it using the UnBrick Jelly Bean tool to flash Jelly Bean back in stock form onto my Razr Maxx. There were a few issues so I will post full details below for futher reference for the Android community.

After the attempt to flash ICS failed, I followed instructions according to you guys and the tool designer (UnBrick Jelly Bean) exept for one thing... after the JB flash was finished it asks you to do a wipe of your phone to ensure the OTA re-install goes smoothly. If you do it and let your phone try to boot you will get into a bootloop.

At this point you have to use Unbrick Jelly Bean all over again and that gets quite annoying. What you must do to ensure it boots correctly is follow the directions again including the wipe but do NOT reboot. At the AP fastboot screen press the power button and turn the phone off but do NOT touch the power button again! Next, ...

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold down Power button plus both Volume Buttons) making SURE your phone does NOT boot normally. Every time you boot normally after using UnBrick Jelly Bean, it will corrupt system files or something similar, therefore you HAVE to start over. What you really need to do is: ...

After the tool does its wipe and you have rebooted into recovery, perform a Cache Wipe, then a Data Wipe/Factory install yourself INSIDE of RECOVERY. Then WITHOUT rebooting, install the OTA leak from your external Micro-SD card.

This was the ONLY method that worked for me. I tried every other option/order of steps and just got a bootloop. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Upvote 0

Congrats wallacengineer.:)

Thanks again guys :) and I have marked your posts with thanks.

By the way, while we are here, any idea why these apps are still running so slowly on the OTA Jelly Bean? I mean how can a phone that could run Dead Trigger on High on ICS now not even run Fruit Ninja?

Do you guys have any info on this?

Upvote 0
I would think to try wiping the cache, or factory reseting

Well I've tried that several times, and after having to fully unbrick and start with a clean OTA install, I figured that would clean everything out right...? Ive also wiped Dalvik Cache, Cache, and performed Data Reset since then, but the phone is still hidiously slow on certain apps.

The only thing I could see having an issue now is the JB Kernel. Maybe it doesnt get replaced when you use the unbricking tool. This would mean that my Kernel may be damaged and may need replacing. The only other solution I personally can come up with is flashing a custom ROM, but I'm sure you have already read how that went the first time...

So, ... I am beginning the process of attempting the flashing of custom ROMs onto my phone again (LMAO). I am paying very close attention this time and using a much more proven method of custom ROM flashing for the RAZR: SafeStrap 3.11

Since I have the Unbrick Utility now permanantly saved on my laptop along with copies of the Original OTA leak .zip file and RSD Lite, as well as "RAZR BLADE" or the OTA Root method for the Razr, I no longer have to worry about bricking as much. If it happens, thanks to my massive 64GB SD card, I have the entire stock JB ROM backed up (VIA SafeStrap), all user apps and data backed, and am looking into flashing the new JB Evolution ROM as well as the new JB Fusion ROM (Exclusive to Droid RZR Forums ONLY, they have demanded that I never post any of their links to another site; as a matter of fact, you have to register just to view them)

I didnt realize I had chosen one of the most popularly hacked phones out there. This entire site is literally deticated to the Razr and similar devices supporting OTA leaks and very modified ROMs. Ive never seen anything like this for even Windows Gaming Computers. This phone is so hacked sometimes its not even funny lol.

So according to Safestrap and its users, I can run up to 4 Custom Roms without ever uninstalling Jelly Bean, its just a recovery menu that allows you to choose different OS's (ROMs) to boot into.

So if having 4 ROMs would be a quad-boot, would 5 be a penta-boot??? ROFL :idea:

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

I have used safestrap to successfully begin running custom ROMs. Although safestrap can handle 4 custom ROMS, you only get 8GB to work with (non-system internal storage partition) so I decided to run the one best ROM available...

Its called JellyWiz. Based off the Samsung Galaxy S III, JellyWiz is set up to look exactly like the S III's UI, and it does.

Aside from the TouchWiz S III setup, JellyWiz also features built-in CPU tweaking as well as ACiD audio mod which makes the sound quality so superb, it sounds like you are at the live concert in a sealed room.

This ROM really is EPIC!!!

Upvote 0
My Maxx was in the same state (the encryption failure error loop), also courtesy of Razr Bootstrapper, though the only offense I committed was simply rebooting into recovery with it and it committed suicide right there all by itself.

I followed wallacengineer's instructions in post #13 above (aside from trying to SBF ICS first). I ran the unbrick utility, didn't reboot when it finished its wipe, then booted into recovery manually and did the cache wipe and factory reset. Without leaving recovery, I tried to install the .211 zip file (I had previously installed it manually from my sdcard and it worked perfectly, so I know it's a valid installation file), but I got an aborted installation due to an error that I can't quite remember now. I don't believe it was the signature verification error he got above...I think it was some sort of package check that failed.

Anyway, now I can't even boot into recovery. All I have is that plain black screen. If I hold the volume up/down buttons and the power button, it flickers once as if it's turning off, then I see the "M" logo for a few seconds, then back to black. If I run the unbrick utility again, it just sits there waiting for the device.

Help...???

Upvote 0
I was able to come back from "Encryption Unsuccessful"
-Not paying attention I flashed an ICS CWM to a rooted JB...fail
(Razr Maxx 98.72.16.XT912)

A long night of searching and the only thing that worked for me:
-Droid Razr Utility 1.82
-Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US

This led to thecarlsoncrew's issue of the moto logo bootloop
-When the screen flashes, the phone just turned off...release all buttons and quickly
press vol+/vol-/pwr to bring up recovery

From there I was able to flash Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US from the external SD

Now up and running 4.1.2 updated to 98.72.16.XT912 and able to re-root

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones