• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Google Drive files on Android?

dewalist

Android Enthusiast
So, Google Drive is NOT the same as Dropbox, is it? I uploaded some audio files (ringtones) to Drive, expecting to be able to use them on my phone. However, when I find the /android/data/ directory and copy the audio files, they don't work. Even when I try an open then in Ringdroid, it says they are invalid or corrupted. I ended up transferring them from my desktop over USB and they work fine.

So, am I not going to be able to use files from Drive on my phone? I know I can open documents and spreadsheets. I was considering uploading wallpapers there, so I could have rotating lock screen pictures - but now I am guessing that is not going to be possible.

Should I switch to using Dropbox instead?

Google Drive and Dropbox are totally separate cloud storage services. I've used both extensively for quite a while. I prefer Dropbox but I've never had a problem using files stored on Google Drive.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Google drive sometimes has options to convert files on upload (like an Excel spreadsheet to Google spreadsheet). Not sure about audio files but make sure it's not converting it on upload. Otherwise it should just be copying the file so maybe your original file is bad

Back
Top Bottom