• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Old Phone as a Security Camera

Goodspike

Android Expert
Dec 28, 2010
Seattle
I'm looking for an app that will make some use of my old Android phones. So buying a webcam is not the answer I'm looking for.

What I would like it to do is take pictures or video, preferably with motion detection, and store the data on the microSD card. No connection to the internet is necessary, although the phone will be connected to wi-fi.

Motion Detector Pro is the closest thing I've found, but it seems to keep the screen on all the time, which I don't want.

The phones, btw, are Droid 2 Globals, running GB.

Reactions: jefboyardee
Great idea! You’ve inspired me to mount my old one as a dashboard camera.

Try DailyRoads Voyager. My main complaint about is was that the video recorded could not be landscape when the phone was orientated in portrait for using a navigation program (e.g. Google Maps). Also, pointing the phone straight down the road isn't good if you want to actually see and use the phone while driving. If you were using a separate phone, those things wouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones