• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Old Phone as a Security Camera

Goodspike

Android Expert
I'm looking for an app that will make some use of my old Android phones. So buying a webcam is not the answer I'm looking for.

What I would like it to do is take pictures or video, preferably with motion detection, and store the data on the microSD card. No connection to the internet is necessary, although the phone will be connected to wi-fi.

Motion Detector Pro is the closest thing I've found, but it seems to keep the screen on all the time, which I don't want.

The phones, btw, are Droid 2 Globals, running GB.

I've been wanting to do this for a while but haven't implemented it. Look for IP camera apps in the Play store. Some have the motion detector feature, and if the phone is connected to WiFi, you can use your current phone or any browser to monitor the old phone (camera) from anywhere in the world.

ISIP Cam looks good for 2 android phones. Sign in under your Google account. One phone for camera, one phone for viewer. It will send any sound from the camera to the viewer and has a talk button where you can speak thru the remote camera speaker. Also has 90

Thanks, I'll check that out, although remote monitoring is not a feature I necessarily need or want. I like the idea of the storage all being local on the phone.

Great idea! You’ve inspired me to mount my old one as a dashboard camera.

Try DailyRoads Voyager. My main complaint about is was that the video recorded could not be landscape when the phone was orientated in portrait for using a navigation program (e.g. Google Maps). Also, pointing the phone straight down the road isn't good if you want to actually see and use the phone while driving. If you were using a separate phone, those things wouldn't be an issue.

Probably won't help too much but you can use AirDroid to control your phone's camera from your computer
Edit: missed the bit in the OP about motion sensing so AirDroid won't help you but it could be useful for others

Motion Spy Video Recorder seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for, but the paid app (necessary to save more than 3 recordings) is $11.00. That's a bit steep

I honestly didn't know anything like this even existed. Now I am really interested in trying it out myself. Would be pretty cool to have a camera watching over my house just because.

Back
Top Bottom