• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using on T-Mobile

good4life

I use a T-Mo ZMax that has worked very well over the last 1.5 years. I just got the ZMax 2, unlocked it, and hope to use as my primary and the ZMax as backup if I can solve the below issues:

1. How do I get the hotspot to work? Is it blocked by GoPhone?
2. My phone came with firmware B12, what is a surefire way to get it to download the latest version of firmware? Do I need an active GoPhone sim or a true AT&T sim?
3. I know this doesn't get VoLTE but I have to have band 12 and hotspot for this to be my daily driver. Anything else to look out for on this phone when using on T-Mobile?

Thanks in advance....

So I got hotspot to work via a third party app. I'll just have to wait on the update. With hotspot working, this phone will now be my primary until I get another phone.

2. My phone came with firmware B12, what is a surefire way to get it to download the latest version of firmware? Do I need an active GoPhone sim or a true AT&T sim?
Thanks in advance....

Updates will be pushed by AT&T & yes,you will need to have an AT&T/GO Phone SIM that is active to receive updates.
I've experienced this exact scenario with two phones & exhausted all plausible avenues for updates.
Outside of flashing aftermarket ROMs w/the updates baked-in or updated by the ROM developer,this is your only option.

As for getting your phone to work on Band 12,as long as the APN is set-up properly & the hardware supports it,you should be good to go,no other steps are needed.

Updates will be pushed by AT&T & yes,you will need to have an AT&T/GO Phone SIM that is active to receive updates.
I've experienced this exact scenario with two phones & exhausted all plausible avenues for updates.
Outside of flashing aftermarket ROMs w/the updates baked-in or updated by the ROM developer,this is your only option.

As for getting your phone to work on Band 12,as long as the APN is set-up properly & the hardware supports it,you should be good to go,no other steps are needed.
Your experience is interesting. I chatted with ZTE support and they were clear that any update would be available via OTA even if I wasn't on AT&T. In fact he even questioned how I came to know there were updates. I understand version B17 is the most current but I am not sure what the 5 new versions yield since none give you Marshmallow. Maybe it's an AT&T thing.

I got band 12 as soon as I put my TMo sim in. Although, I understand TMo is Band 12 A block and AT&T is B block. What the difference is I don't know. My phone works as I need now, so, I'm not going to worry at this point.

Your experience is interesting. I chatted with ZTE support and they were clear that any update would be available via OTA even if I wasn't on AT&T. In fact he even questioned how I came to know there were updates. I understand version B17 is the most current but I am not sure what the 5 new versions yield since none give you Marshmallow. Maybe it's an AT&T thing.

I got band 12 as soon as I put my TMo sim in. Although, I understand TMo is Band 12 A block and AT&T is B block. What the difference is I don't know. My phone works as I need now, so, I'm not going to worry at this point.

I hope the ZTE Customer Care rep is right & they buck the trend,but,I seriously doubt if they will.
This practice by AT&T is fairly common,I ran into this with the LG Optimus G Pro & LG G Flex2.
Good luck. :thumbsupdroid:

Back
Top Bottom