• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] can you root S3 after latest Jelly update 4.3?

If your update has downloaded and is in your memory, you may find it in your downloads folder. I think there you can find that folder using a file manager (such as root explorer) under /sdcard/downloads. :)

You can delete that file (for the update) with no worries about wiping anything else.

I searched under the default My Files explorer but couldn't find anything resembling an update in the download folder on the phone sdcard or extsdcard.

Do I need to use the root explorer app specifically?

Upvote 0
I did decide to purchase the full Ti BU app.

I liked that it allows me to backup everything to dropbox.

I started the backup process and ... JEEZUZ, 1GB to upload?

Is it copying literally everything on the phone?

Perhaps you selected to backup everything? You only need to backup user apps and data and that could be why the file is so big;)

I searched under the default My Files explorer but couldn't find anything resembling an update in the download folder on the phone sdcard or extsdcard.

Do I need to use the root explorer app specifically?
I don't think you need to use root explorer exclusively to find it.
You may even have that "downloads" folder in your app drawer:)

I'm very sorry for the late reply...I'm at work right now :(

Upvote 0
Perhaps you selected to backup everything? You only need to backup user apps and data and that could be why the file is so big;)

I don't think you need to use root explorer exclusively to find it.
You may even have that "downloads" folder in your app drawer:)

I'm very sorry for the late reply...I'm at work right now :(

Hmmm, I going to need to poke around it for a while. I think I figured out how to backup apps and their data. EDIT: I found contacts and messages. I don't know how to only send the app and contact stuff to dropbox. Right now the only options I see are everything and selected labels.

How To Use Titanium Backup For Android [Complete Guide] could be helpful ;)

Do you suggest backing up the bloatware and frozen apps?

Can I back them up and the delete from phone?

I found the download app on the phone but I still don't see the update. anywhere.

Don;t worry about getting back right away, I'm at work as well. I won't tell if you don't. ;)

LOL

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Just freeze the so-called bloat app first and if your phone acts fine, then backup and delete them.
If I may, I would suggest checking out a custom rom such as CleanRom (TouchWiz based) or, for a more "pure-ish Android" experience, check out any AOSP rom such as CarbonRom.
Most custom roms will have such "bloat" removed for ya;)

I ran CleanRom for a bit, then Carbon Rom now. I must say I like both :)

Upvote 0
So, in another thread it was suggested that I should not back up my system data in Ti, as it would conflict if I switched ROMs. But, I noticed contacts, messages, and a few other things that would be nice to backup are included in system data. How do I know what is okay to backup across all ROMs in addition to my app data? Keeping my score on angry birds is kinda second rate to losing my phonebook if I switch ROMs, ya know?

Since I have already backed up everything (including all system data) should I just purge that backup? (Its taking up over 1 GB)

Upvote 0
So, in another thread it was suggested that I should not back up my system data in Ti, as it would conflict if I switched ROMs. But, I noticed contacts, messages, and a few other things that would be nice to backup are included in system data. How do I know what is okay to backup across all ROMs in addition to my app data? Keeping my score on angry birds is kinda second rate to losing my phonebook if I switch ROMs, ya know?

Since I have already backed up everything (including all system data) should I just purge that backup? (Its taking up over 1 GB)

Yes, you can delete that backup and create another;)
Your contacts should be backed up and synced with google. So you need not worry about backing them up with TB. If you do not sync with google, then yes, you can use TB to back up the contacts.
As far as messages (text messages I assume?), that is fine to backup in TB.
When you go to restore them to another rom, I am not sure about how to do that, sorry:(

And yes, as far as system apps and backing them up, then restoring to another rom, that may cause issues....which is why personally, I only backup user apps and data.

I hope I covered those questions :)

Upvote 0
Thanks.

This is kind of related but I guess I'll ask it here. I want to move a movie from my computer to my phone. I have airdroid but it won;t move such a large file. I tried hooking up my phone to the USB cable and things started getting weird.

The phone repeatedly connected and disconnected from my PC. It will flash a notification that it is connected as an installer but when I pull down the option pane, the notification is gone. The notification will appear and dissappear on and off. this goes on forever and my laptop never sees it connected long enough to access it or set up the drivers (though I installed the samsung drivers when I rooted) I don;t have anything frozen in Ti at the moment so I'm completely lost as to what it going on. Switching on and off developer mode and USB debugging makes no difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones