• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Difference in root methods???

arparaspolo

Android Enthusiast
When I first got my GSIII I was rooted with Debugs one click. When the OTA JB update came out, it wouldn't let me update. So I called VW and they sent me a new GSIII. I stupidly did the update right away. Without rooting, and protecting it with VooDoo. So, I had to go about rooting with Odin and flashing a few things and installing CWM. I am new to rooting and don't even flash ROM's I stay stock and only use root for a few select apps. So all the flashing and such had me nervous. But I did it anyways. Anywho, this method of rooting left me with the big "CUSTOM" on my boot screen and then also Custom where is usually said Normal. Also, I had CWM on it and the flash counter was now at 2. Again, I am new so all of that is Chinese to me. I needed to go back to complete stock as I was dealing with Samsung with an issue and they said I couldn't be rooted. I downloaded TriangleAway and reset my counter. Then I went to SamSobile and grabbed the original 4.0.4 for my SCH-I535 and threw it on my phone with Odin. After it booted back up it stayed at the LTE screen with the colored rings. I then factory reset it and it came back on just fine. Now I am on a fresh 4.0.4. I rooted with debugs one click. Installed and hid root with Voodoo. Took 3 different OTA updates and am now on 4.1.1. I unhid root with VooDoo. Now I am on JB and I'm rooted without Odin or CWM.

Is "Root" different for the two methods? (I know one will have CWM and say CUSTOM)

I like this way because there is no flashing involved. It is more "Stock" than the other way in my opinion.

But again, I am a noob when it comes to this. So what do I know? Haha.

From what I gather, the root process is different for version 4.0.4 than it is for 4.1.1.
I am not familiar with the One Click method as my phone came with 4.1.1.
It was easy, I think, and I have a page bookmarked in case I need to go back to stock for a warranty issue if one arises.:)
Did I understand your question correctly?

I have done both methods. I prefer the one click method with ICS. I wanted to know if the end results were the same from both methods.

Back
Top Bottom