• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Moto Z2 Force Not Getting LTE (only H+)

Z

ZMonet1

I have an unlocked Verizon Moto Z2 Force. I just switched over to an AT&T reseller and have found that I can only get H+ service (at best) and not LTE no matter what APN settings I use and no matter where I am. The reseller has tried to help me a great deal, offering suggestions, trying things on their end, etc., but nothing changes. I've done a couple factory resets, redone the APN settings a number of times, and still have had no success. I'll note that I always got LTE service at my home previously. Has anyone had this problem before? Do you think it is a defect in the phone?

Any help greatly appreciated. I really don't want to give up this phone but H to H+ service just isn't going to work for me.

Your Verizon phone is apparently having compatibility issues trying to use AT&T's cellular network. The two carriers rely upon two different cellular networks so it's not just a matter of APN settings or the SIM card, the cellular radio chip inside your Verizon phone is only able to handle specific bands and frequencies. This article has a chart showing what bands and frequencies the major four carriers use for their respective cellular networks:
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Che...on-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-use-in-the-USA_id77933
So it's not a defect in your phone, it's a compatibility issue. Go back to Verizon as your carrier or find a MVNO contracted with Verizon, or get an AT&T compatible phone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Upvote 0
As you're experiencing, your phone is only able to get partial use of AT&T's cellular service. As that link indicates, AT&T uses bands 12 and 17 for its 4G service while Verizon uses band 13. Yes, there's some overlap with some other bands but they are all just secondary, incidental ones. It's those primary bands that matter. Your SIM card just retains your cellular service account info, it's what is used to authenticate your phone to use their cellular service. As far as changing APN settings, that's just text. Configuration data isn't going to alter any phone to use cellular bands it doesn't already support. Perhaps a graphic might clarify why this is a hardware issue;
MotoZ2Force-mobo.jpg
This is a photo take from https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+Moto+Z2+Force+Motherboard+Replacement/103376
It's the logic board of a Moto Z2 Force. One of those microchips is the cellular radio chip. That chip is the interface between your phone and the wireless signal from your carrier. The issue that isn't easily bypassed is that chip is also, by design, only going to work with specific cellular bands. Which unfortunately doesn't appear to be the ones AT&T uses for 4G/LTE. That's why there's a hardware issue involved that software isn't going alter. Also, those chips are soldered to the board so they're not readily replaceable, so it's not a matter where you can just have it replaced. There was for a time a push to make smartphones more modular, so things like storage and radio chips could be easily exchanged, but that trend sadly faded into obscurity.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones