• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Phone unusable two days after new ROM -- Need help

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
I finally broke down and decided to root and flash a new ROM. I had heard great things about Hyperdrive, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I used the Casual root utility, which worked great, and then flashed Hyperdrive. The entire process went extremely smoothly and the new ROM was fantastic for almost two days.

This morning I woke up and I couldn't unlock my phone. It was stuck on the lock screen and was unresponsive to any touch input. I pulled the battery and it got back to the lock screen, but it's still unresponsive. I thought, "No problem. I'll just get into TWRP and re-flash." No such luck. I can't figure out how to get into recovery. I've pulled the battery to get it to shut off, then I hold down Home, volume up and power. That worked when I was flashing the phone the first time, but isn't working now.

I read somewhere where someone else had a problem getting into recovery until they connected the phone to their computer, so I tried that and still no luck. When I do it, the phone vibrates and I get a split second indication on the screen that it's going to go into recovery, then the screen goes black. It stays that way until I release the buttons and then it boots normally to the frozen lock screen.

What the heck do I do now? I used to flash my Droid and Droid X regularly, but I've avoided doing so with the S3 until now. I'm not familiar with how to handle serious situations like this. I never had to worry about bricking my Droid or Droid X, but is it possible with the S3? Have I possibly bricked it somehow?

Thanks!
John

hmmm, that is odd.
Try this....pull your battery like you did, then do the 3 button thing to go into recovery.
Now, when the phone vibrates, just let go of the power button only whilst continuing to hold the volume up and home until your recovery screen comes on. :)

That worked! I also found on the Hyperdrive forums that there can be a problem when using non-stock lock screens and I had switched to the AOPK lock screen. Perhaps that had something to do with it. I'm going to wipe and reflash to see how that goes.

Just in case, I found some instructions on how to flash the stock ROM with ODIN. I'm downloading the most recent Verizon ROM that I can find in case I need to try that method. I've never used it before, but I imagine it's a lot like using the old Moto tools when I had my Droids.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones