• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Version 2.3.6 to 4.1.2 Update Questions

thisisnascar

Last night, I upgraded my Razr MAXX from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2, by unfreezing/thawing the module that allows OTA updates to take place. Obviously, the look and feel of the updated OS is different. I've been able to perform basic functions, but certain changes I can't seem to find answers to in order to get them back the way I want them.

For example, in no particular order..................

- Upon receiving an incoming phone call, it used to announce the name of the person calling. It no longer does that and I can't seem to find an option to enable this feature.

- I used to have various groups/grouping of applications that I could setup, to put all similar apps in their own groups. Now, all I see are all the apps listed in one main group. I'm unable to find a way to create new groups.

- I somehow enabled "pattern" in the screenlock option, but I want to disable that. All I want to be able to do is have a screen that's quickly unlocked, by a quick swipe, like I had in the older version. The only options I see are Pattern, PIN and Password.

As I find other oddities that I'm unable to resolve, I'll add them to this thread. I really appreciate the help and assistance that I anticipate from the members here.

Android 2.3 Gingerbread is totally different compared to Android 4.1.2 Jellybean. Il try to answer some of your questions.
You may need to enable Talkback in accessibility option in android settings.
Groups no longer exist as apps can be organized in folders. If the current Moto launcher can handle grouping, Go on google play and download Apex or Nova launcher. These 2 launchers support what your looking for as Android 4.1 launchers have new features available to users.
Go into android settings to security and make sure you have swipe enabled for lockscreen. If this option isnt showing, you may have a corrupt firmware which we may need todo a RSDlite flash and reflash the device.

Any other assistance, lemme know

Android 2.3 Gingerbread is totally different compared to Android 4.1.2 Jellybean. Il try to answer some of your questions.
You may need to enable Talkback in accessibility option in android settings.
Groups no longer exist as apps can be organized in folders. If the current Moto launcher can handle grouping, Go on google play and download Apex or Nova launcher. These 2 launchers support what your looking for as Android 4.1 launchers have new features available to users.
Go into android settings to security and make sure you have swipe enabled for lockscreen. If this option isnt showing, you may have a corrupt firmware which we may need todo a RSDlite flash and reflash the device.

Any other assistance, lemme know

Thanks for the reply. I tried Talkback, but that speaks just about everything I do once enabled. I was looking for the simple spoken "Call from ________________" like it used to do in 2.3.6, then it would start to ring.

I just checked "Security & Screen Lock" and my only options in choosing a screen lock are Pattern, PIN and Password.

I somehow enabled "pattern" in the screenlock option, but I want to disable that. All I want to be able to do is have a screen that's quickly unlocked, by a quick swipe, like I had in the older version. The only options I see are Pattern, PIN and Password.

Looking at 4.1.2 on an un-root-ed Bionic ... if I go too Settings | Security & Scrren Lock and select Screen Lock it gives me the options ...

None
Slide
Face Unlock
Pattern
PIN
Password

I use None. You can choose Slide.

If you are root-ed I will move this thread to the All Things Root subforum where root-related questions are discussed.

... Thom

I hadn't noticed None, Slide or Face Unlock because they are really darkened-out. Now that I see them, each option says "Disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage."

Do you have Data encryption turned on?

This is a BIG DEAL. It should never be turned on unless you are absolutely sure it should be. Turning it off is MONUMENTAL.

If Data encryption is on it could account for the reason the other security options are disabled.

... Thom

Data Encryption is not turned on. As it relates to my groups/grouping issue, I found the groups. They were there all along, but I could find them, until now. All appears good with grouping now.

Now, I'm down to this issue concerning not being able to setup the screen-lock with swipe only and the problem with the phone not announcing the caller's name on an incoming call like it used to do.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Since you are on a root-ed Razr Maxx I moved this thread to the sub-forum where they are discussed.

Good luck with your transition.

... Thom

OK, thanks. Not sure this has anything to do with being rooted, but I can understand the need to move it, since it is. That being said, anyone have any suggestions please? Like I said, the couple of remaining issues I have is the phone not announcing the caller with a voice like it used to. Now it just rings and shows the caller-ID info. Prior to the upgrade, it would announce the caller's name, based on the contact info.

The 2nd problem (as mentioned above as well) is not being able to just do a left-to-right swipe to unlock the display. The options for None, Slide and Face Unlock are all darkened out and as suggestion, I made sure to check to make sure Encryption was turned off and it is. It was never enabled.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and help.

So, apparently I lost my root access, even though SuperUser still appears in the app list. Been do long since I rooted. Where can I get the lasted rooting tool and instructions?

Looks like my Select Network is darkened and grayed out too. Is this the option I'd use to force 3G? I'm starting to get concerned with all these options being grayed out.

I don't think anyone's ignoring you, though I'd recommend editing prior posts with new information rather than making numerous consecutive posts as a matter of good netiquette.

The reality is I think the heyday of the RAZR MAXX has come and gone, so getting assistance for issues with it now is simply less likely.

Afraid I can't comment on your issues; I don't recall my phone ever announcing the names of incoming callers. Best of luck though.

If you installed the new version of Android and didn't do a Factory Data Reset at any point, I'd strongly recommend doing so; it migh help your issues and I think it's generally considered "best practice" these days in any case. Just back up your data before you do so.

Thanks. I'm actually in the process of doing that now. I've resolved many of my issues, but continue to find more. As we speak, I have a backup running. Once that has completed, I'm going to perform a Factory Reset and will wipe the SD card for good measure. I will then check the things that are darkened and grayed and see if they are fixed, once I verify that, I'm going to root the phone.

My efforts right now are locating the proper root programs and procedures to perform this on 4.1.2 version of Android. I'll be searching for this info while the backup is running, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I hadn't noticed None, Slide or Face Unlock because they are really darkened-out. Now that I see them, each option says "Disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage."

For anyone interested, the activation of FoxFi is what darkens these items, rendering them unusable. Stopping and removing the application does not bring those options back. The only way that's worked for me is to reset to factory defaults and not to activate FoxFi.

All you have to do to resolve this is hit "Clear Credentials" in the Security & Screen Lock section of settings. The certificate from FoxFi is what does it.

I think connecting to a Microsoft Exchange account can do it too. Exchange has settings that can require smartphone users to give up some control and require security settings like that.

Got the one issue resolved. Now I get an announcement of the person calling.

Well, how did you do it? Someone may find this thread while searching for the same question, the answer should be right there waiting for them.

Sorry about not getting back to this sooner.

Phone-Settings-Caller ID Readout and set to Caller ID then Ring.

I believe there's a bug in 4.1.2, whereas you have to choose that setting and exit, then go back choose another setting and exit then go back in one last time to choose the Caller ID Ring then exit and it will work.

You then get the voice announcement of who is calling, then the ring/vibe.

Back
Top Bottom