• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very Very upset with t-mobile.

hackerbee

Lurker
Nov 12, 2008
So, Ive been a tmo customer for about 28 months now. Not an eternity but long enough to be somewhat valued. My wife and I received our G1s on Nov 10th and were extremely excited to use them. Unbeknownst to us, during the initial setup you are required to sign in to or create a google account. Fine, no problem, I get on tmo's website and proceed to change our plans and services. No go. I am prompted to call customer care. The first CCR (customer care rep) politely told me that for some reason there were two instances of family time messaging on my account and when she tried to delete them and add the G1 data services she recieved an error message. She filled out a help desk ticket and told me the help desk takes 24 hours. Nov 11th, after G1 still not working I call CCR #2. They transferred me to tech support. Same problem, the tmobile people cannot change my account plans or services. Yet another help desk ticket is filed, this time I am told the help desk takes 48-72 hours. Now I am mad. Today, it has been 72 hours since help desk ticket #2. I call CCR #3 and am informed that they also cannot provision my sim card because of the same error and that during a provisioning of my account several months ago for my wifes blackberry "something" happened to my account and they cannot change anything. Help desk ticket #3 is filled out and this time I am told the help desk could take 1-2 weeks. Only the "engineers" can change anything.

I have never had any trouble with t-mobile customer care and as a matter of fact I have convinced family members to join t-mobile because of their awesome customer care. I have to say that I am very very upset with t-mobile customer care right now.

I believe that the entire scenario is there fault (they told me so) and they can do nothing to fix it. I have had my G1 for 5 days now and all I can do is stare at the screen that says, "There is a problem communicating with the google servers....". I know I sound impatient, but I believe this is a matter of principal. They should be able to get my phones up and running much more quickly than this. They are a multi-billion corporation and cell phones is what they do. Let get it taken care of.

Now I feel much better.

Anybody have any advice? Am I overreacting?

I think i'm shocked right now and i'm very sorry for what you are experiencing. Fah real! I'm thinking everything at this point should be being done to make you happy. Not because you are being unreasonable, but because it's just not okay. Why get excited and hyped and can't do a damn thing about it? I'm just sayin...............i am hell bent on letting folks know sprint, at&t, verizon, and the like got nothing on t-mobile customer care and every single experience has been just that, and it sucks to death that you are that frustrated. Real talk!

Upvote 0
Yeah definaly make sure you're getting compinsated for the problems that they're having with your account.

My favorite line when on cust service when they say that they can't do something is:

"What can we do?"

This tends to give them the oportunity to say things like "we can credit your account" and you don't sound like an a-hole.

Best of luck man

Upvote 0
Called Customer Care again this evening. Was told the official wait time for a help desk ticket is 5-7 business days. They tried to give me extra minutes for my trouble on a phone line that I cannot use. She told me the extra minutes were good for 90 days to try and appease me.

Does anyone know how to get past the gmail login screen without having a data package. It's like a slap in the face from t-mobile to see that I have service, EDGE even which is unusual around here, but cannot make a phone call. That would make all the difference in the world; being able to at least play with the apps and make phone calls. But I can't even do that. To make thing worse I have unlimited internet for my tmo dash, but that's a "different" type of data package and is not compatible with G1. Again, very very upset with tmo right now. Maybe when the phone is working I'll forget this whole thing happened.

Upvote 0
What is sounds like is, you are just speaking with several people who are not experienced enough to understand how things are done.

Cancel/re-open accounts. Its faster.

According to Tech support (one "level" lower than help desk) they have tried to close/reinstate my account. One CSR stated that he was ging to put me on old so that he could go access his supervisors computer and close/reinstate my account. Apparently it did not result and resulted in help desk ticket #2.

One day I will get to use my G1; one day.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have a feeling that the APN setting for T-mobile 1900 isn't there, it may have deleted..

Perform the following:

Master Reset
Phone needs to be off
Hold Home Button and Power Button for 25seconds or until it reboots
keep holding that until you see the exclamation point and phone icon
slide the keyboard open, and press ALT + L
Pick ALT + W for Wipe Data and Factory Reset
Let the wipe go through, then once that's done
press Home Button and Back Button , phone will reboot --- Log In to GMail Account...

Upvote 0
Ok, I have a feeling that the APN setting for T-mobile 1900 isn't there, it may have deleted..

Perform the following:

Master Reset
Phone needs to be off
Hold Home Button and Power Button for 25seconds or until it reboots
keep holding that until you see the exclamation point and phone icon
slide the keyboard open, and press ALT + L
Pick ALT + W for Wipe Data and Factory Reset
Let the wipe go through, then once that's done
press Home Button and Back Button , phone will reboot --- Log In to GMail Account...

Thanks for the advice, but its a no-go. "There is a problem communicating with the Google servers."

Upvote 0
did you check and see you are on the G1 DATA ONLY $25 or G1 DATA /400msg $25 if your on T-mobile VPN , Blackberry plan, SK Plan these plans are incompatible with the G1 (In some markets they work, but will not work by end of 2008),

Are you using an Omnipoint/Voice Stream Sim Card ?

Does the service bar show up, does the 3G Status Show Up.

If all the above seems to be good,, call T-mobile and request a Handset Exchange. You may have a faulty unit.

Upvote 0
did you check and see you are on the G1 DATA ONLY $25 or G1 DATA /400msg $25 if your on T-mobile VPN , Blackberry plan, SK Plan these plans are incompatible with the G1 (In some markets they work, but will not work by end of 2008),

Are you using an Omnipoint/Voice Stream Sim Card ?

Does the service bar show up, does the 3G Status Show Up.

If all the above seems to be good,, call T-mobile and request a Handset Exchange. You may have a faulty unit.

You may want to read the first post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones