• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video is upsdie down on PC.

Codec

Android Enthusiast
I took video with the phone turned it sideways and it's fine on the phone but on the PC it's upside down.

That really is strange!

I've transferred video to a couple of different laptops and not had any issues - though I always hold the phone in landscape when taking video because, well, it's video :)

So say you, but if you are not willing to help trouble shoot, you can just solve your problems on your own.

i will just say this once.

If you take a video with the camera/phone vertical. you are screwed w/o a lot of photo editing.
Use it in Landscape mode and be done with it.

i will just say this once.

If you take a video with the camera/phone vertical. you are screwed w/o a lot of photo editing.
Use it in Landscape mode and be done with it.
And why is that? This is literally the first phone that has ever done this. Landscape is what I'm using.

Just tested this and there does seem to be an intermittent bug.

First time I tried, holding the phone in landscape with the red video button on the right, everything worked fine. When I flipped the phone over so the red button was on the left, the camera app failed.

I then tried again and the camera worked but the video shot with the button on the left came through oriented in portrait - i.e. on it's side :eek:

I then tried again and .. everything worked fine. Both ways up.

Very peculiar.

Thanks for the link Gordon. Looks like there's an bug in the Google camera app. Anyone know how to report this?:confused:
I know this might just be semantics, but technically it's not a bug in the Google camera app. The problem is that Google had to put the camera in upside down on the phone, and apps that use the newest camera API can automatically reorient for that... a lot of apps, however, are still using the old API, which means it appears upside down.

I guess it's interpretation.

My reading of the article is that the camera app ought to call something to check the orientation of the hardware - which is, as you say, incorrect - on start up. The result of this call should allow the app to adjust it's orientation calculations - I'm guessing it's something like, the call returns the fact that the camera is 90 degrees off normal so the app should add (or maybe subtract) 90 degrees in the orientation calculations.

Since the problem is intermittent, the app is clearly making the call to get the adjustment otherwise it would always be wrong and it's usually OK. Under some circumstances however, the app is clearly processing the result incorrectly as there are times when it does get it wrong.

That makes it a bug in the app in my book ;)

Well, either that or the sensor that returns information about the device's current orientation is flakey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom