• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Videos not playing via YouTube smart tv app.

Hi guys,
Firstly I must emphasise that I’m a techno-idiot! I know 3yr olds with better technological skills. Hence this help post. So apologies in advance!

I have a android TV box (Droix X3) and I’ve always been using the pre-installed YouTube app with no issues. Unfortunately today the app just stopped working, and would not load at all. I deleted the app then reinstalled YouTube via Google play store. The app layout was nothing like the original app I used. So I did a bit of digging and found ‘Smart YouTube tv’ app and downloaded it through Troypoint. The app installed successfully and appeared to be the same as the original installed. I linked my Google account to it and everything seemed fine. All my history and subscriptions etc were showing up and also the thumbnails (think that’s the right terminology) to all the recommended videos etc. But when I click on a video they will not play. It just pops up as ‘Something went wrong’ message, and ‘Submit report message’. I’ve had a look through the setting on the app and tv box but just can’t get my grey matter around it. It may (hopefully) be something simple but as I said, I’m a bit of a techno-plonker so I’m hoping somebody maybe able to help out and happily have a laugh at my expense!

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been posted in the wrong section

Hi guys,
Firstly I must emphasise that I’m a techno-idiot! I know 3yr olds with better technological skills. Hence this help post. So apologies in advance!

I have a android TV box (Droix X3) and I’ve always been using the pre-installed YouTube app with no issues. Unfortunately today the app just stopped working, and would not load at all. I deleted the app then reinstalled YouTube via Google play store. The app layout was nothing like the original app I used. So I did a bit of digging and found ‘Smart YouTube tv’ app and downloaded it through Troypoint. The app installed successfully and appeared to be the same as the original installed. I linked my Google account to it and everything seemed fine. All my history and subscriptions etc were showing up and also the thumbnails (think that’s the right terminology) to all the recommended videos etc. But when I click on a video they will not play. It just pops up as ‘Something went wrong’ message, and ‘Submit report message’. I’ve had a look through the setting on the app and tv box but just can’t get my grey matter around it. It may (hopefully) be something simple but as I said, I’m a bit of a techno-plonker so I’m hoping somebody maybe able to help out and happily have a laugh at my expense!

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been posted in the wrong section

‘Smart YouTube tv’?? Is that some third-party YouTube client? It could be YouTube(Google) locked it out from streaming their YT videos?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I suspect it’s a legit app for YouTube, although 3rd party, as it was pre installed in the android box I have. And they’re a legit company who supply them, it wasn’t a cheap Chinese box off e-bay etc. It seems it’s just a version that’s more compatible with TV use. But also my bitchute app isn’t playing the videos. So I can only guess it’s something to do with a video setting on the android box that needs altering. But that’s about the limit of my technical guess work unfortunately!
Cheers for the response Mikedt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones