• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] serial number changed, help please

j21098

Sep 23, 2012
I used to have root but not too long ago I flashed the stock tar to return to stock unrooted and when I try to update the new software it gives me an error. I tried to do the firmware upgrade and initialization thing from kies and when I entered the meid it keeps saying to reenter the information because it's invalid. I scrolled down on the phone and the serial number isn't wha came on the sticker on the back of the phone it's just 8 numbers. I checked the serial number on other phones and tablets amd they all have letters and numbers and are 11 in lenght while on the s3 it's only numbers and 8 in length. Help me please.

If your MEID changed your phone service would no longer work. You can just find the latest stock tar for your phone and flash that via odin. Then there would be no need to update. I never used kies on this phone, but when I did use it I don't think I was asked for MEID.
Did you flash flash stock tar that was not actually for your phone?
Post your model number also, maybe even a link to the tar you flashed.

MEID can be found under the battery and is labeled DEC

Upvote 0
If your MEID changed your phone service would no longer work. You can just find the latest stock tar for your phone and flash that via odin. Then there would be no need to update. I never used kies on this phone, but when I did use it I don't think I was asked for MEID.
Did you flash flash stock tar that was not actually for your phone?
Post your model number also, maybe even a link to the tar you flashed.

MEID can be found under the battery and is labeled DEC

It's SPH-L710 I used this tar [FULL RESTORE][TAR] Stock MK5 Odin FLASHABLE [4.3] - xda-developers
Is the meid the serial number? I mean if you keep scrolling down in the status its just random numbers. I'm sure it's not supposed to be like that. Do I flash the 4.4.2 tar thats in this forum? The main reason I'm worried about the serial number is because my screen cracked and I have warranty at best buy. Im thinking about getting it swapped but i dont remember if they check the serial number or meid. Thanks.

Upvote 0
MEID(Mobile Equipment Identifier) is the serial number. Theree are two kinds Hex and DEC. Hex can be a combination of letters and numbers while DEC is only numbers. Anyways, looking at both Hex and DEC under status both are the same as the ones on the box and both are just numbers. It should be what Best Buy checks.

Upvote 0
MEID(Mobile Equipment Identifier) is the serial number. Theree are two kinds Hex and DEC. Hex can be a combination of letters and numbers while DEC is only numbers. Anyways, looking at both Hex and DEC under status both are the same as the ones on the box and both are just numbers. It should be what Best Buy checks.

Oh ok, thank you. So for mobiles they check meid? I was just worried they'd check the serial number under the meid in the status option in about device and nothing would come up on their computers.

Upvote 0
Yes it should be. That 8 digit number that appears under status as serial number I believe is the cssn or SSN number. Those are the ones used on tablets as serial numbers, one of them is 8 digits while the other is 15 or 16. So, if you buy a tablet that number would match up with the information in the packaging. It is confusing, lots of people have asked online. Just know that the serial number that for phones is either the IMEI(gsm, lte) aka T-Mobile ATT while MEID(CMDA ) Verizon Sprint.

Upvote 0
Yes it should be. That 8 digit number that appears under status as serial number I believe is the cssn or SSN number. Those are the ones used on tablets as serial numbers, one of them is 8 digits while the other is 15 or 16. So, if you buy a tablet that number would match up with the information in the packaging. It is confusing, lots of people have asked online. Just know that the serial number that for phones is either the IMEI(gsm, lte) aka T-Mobile ATT while MEID(CMDA ) Verizon Sprint.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones