• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voice to Text Awful on S8

jbcamel

Jul 15, 2012
I had a Galaxy S4 for years. Creating text messages was a snap. The voice to text was extremely accurate. Now I have the S8 and it's horrible. It only gets about 80% of the words right. It capitalizes words for no apparent reason. When I say "period" at the end of a sentence it puts in the word "period" instead of the punctuation about half the time.

I am VERY disappointed in this phone. It's also lacking any voicemail app so I don't always know if I have a message. I have to remember to check often.

But this voice to text thing is driving me crazy. It's what I always use for texts and emails and I never had to worry about making more than the occasional correction until I got this new phone.

I had a Galaxy S4 for years. Creating text messages was a snap. The voice to text was extremely accurate. Now I have the S8 and it's horrible. It only gets about 80% of the words right. It capitalizes words for no apparent reason. When I say "period" at the end of a sentence it puts in the word "period" instead of the punctuation about half the time.

Not recognising "period" as a full-stop "." for puctuation. One possiblity I can think of, check that you have English (United States) selected as the language and not English (United Kingdom), or something else.

I am VERY disappointed in this phone. It's also lacking any voicemail app so I don't always know if I have a message. I have to remember to check often.

Voicemail is provided by your carrier, see if they have a voicemail app you can install and use. Which presumably your Galaxy S4 had, and was it supplied by and customised by your carrier?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones