• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VOIP on Rogers

Can someone using Rogers confirm this with me? I use Fring on my Magic to make long distance call via Skype out. It only works on wifi before but I can use it today on the Rogers 3G network. Not sure Rogers finally removed the block for the VOIP call on their data network. I am glad to see the change :)

They removed the port block a while back. You can also use an alternate port (not sure about fring but other apps have the option) just in case you call from an area with a block. Latency and jitter is much worse over 3G as there is no QOS and R doesn't go out of their way to allow a voip call to flow smoothly but it generally works.

What I do is to set the SIP app as the default dialer but only start it when I need it so that normal cell is used most of the time. For SIP inbound calls I have the SIP account at the server end set to simul ring my cell. I usually give out my SIP number to people so that I can get calls on any number from any phone. That allows me to give out alternate numbers and even a toll free number to people and I can still take/make calls from the cell. Kinda like google voice yet better. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones