• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Volt crashed again...Now can only access fastboot???? Please Help

erogier

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me figure out how to get my volt working again . Cant afford a new one at the moment. A little history....Around the first of the year the phone started freezing and turning off on a regular basis until it finally started bootlooping. At the time I had not rooted or put a custom recovery. I followed the guide for unbricking that takes you back to V3and then let it update. I then rooted and installed TWERP.All went smoothly and worked beautifully for about three weeks and it started the bootloop again. I tried installing a backup through recovery but nooo, it would not work. Finally, I reinstalled the os again following the same unbrick guide, updated, rerooted, etc. This has happened a coulpe more times. A few days ago Google froze up on me and the phone locked up...Finally got it powered down but when it restarted...bootloop ! However this time I can not access recovery. At first it would get to the factory reset screen but go no further. So I thought I would see if I could get into download mode but no. It appears to be going into fastboot which I know nothing about....from my reading it seems there must be a way to restore the phone with fast boot and adb but these are things I've never used and have had no luck in finding anything that really explains how. So anyway after all this lengthy post can anyone give me some guidance ? Please...

Last edited:
Hi all,
I hope someone can help me figure out how to get my volt working again . Cant afford a new one at the moment. A little history....Around the first of the year the phone started freezing and turning off on a regular basis until it finally started bootlooping. At the time I had not rooted or put a custom recovery. I followed the guide for unbricking that takes you back to V3and then let it update. I then rooted and installed TWERP.All went smoothly and worked beautifully for about three weeks and it started the bootloop again. I tried installing a backup through recovery but nooo, it would not work. Finally, I reinstalled the os again following the same unbrick guide, updated, rerooted, etc. This has happened a coulpe more times. A few days ago Google froze up on me and the phone locked up...Finally got it powered down but when it restarted...bootloop ! However this time I can not access recovery. At first it would get to the factory reset screen but go no further. So I thought I would see if I could get into download mode but no. It appears to be going into fastboot which I know nothing about....from my reading it seems there must be a way to restore the phone with fast boot and adb but these are things I've never used and have had no luck in finding anything that really explains how. So anyway after all this lengthy post can anyone give me some guidance ? Please...
Hello there
I have similar issues on my volt LS740 week ago and I sucked in the recovery loop. despite all my research's for the last 4 days only today afternoon I did solve, if your model is the same, I suggest the following:
you back up before any thing- in my case I have no backup because I did big mistake and wiped the system and folder related. so please backup...

1- go to this link "andriodfilehost"
2-type your model# on the search
3-get the most updated three files mine were :
a-BOOTSTACK_LS740_ZV3
b-LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure
c-LGLS740StockRecovery
4- add them to your root SDcard
5-in twrp go wipe, slide to get factory rest
6-wipe again, click advance, and select system to wipe and format
7-go install only #1, turned off, then go back to the recover mode again.
8-install #2
then reboot
it will take you to mini menu, hold where indicated normal boot (+power) on the screen and hold the power button
follow the exit screen
this will get you started, hope it helps.

Mo

Hello there
I have similar issues on my volt LS740 week ago and I sucked in the recovery loop. despite all my research's for the last 4 days only today afternoon I did solve, if your model is the same, I suggest the following:
you back up before any thing- in my case I have no backup because I did big mistake and wiped the system and folder related. so please backup...

1- go to this link "andriodfilehost"
2-type your model# on the search
3-get the most updated three files mine were :
a-BOOTSTACK_LS740_ZV3
b-LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure
c-LGLS740StockRecovery
4- add them to your root SDcard
5-in twrp go wipe, slide to get factory rest
6-wipe again, click advance, and select system to wipe and format
7-go install only #1, turned off, then go back to the recover mode again.
8-install #2
then reboot
it will take you to mini menu, hold where indicated normal boot (+power) on the screen and hold the power button
follow the exit screen
this will get you started, hope it helps.

Mo
Thank You for your response, but as stated I can not access recovery. Nor can I get into download mode. Instead it comes up with several lines of text showing fastboot which I have no experience working with. The computer only recognizes the phone as android bootloader interface. If I could access recovery I could probably fix with no problem but I don't know how to go about it with fastboot and adb,

UPDATE:

Ok , I think I pretty well understand using fastboot from this guidehttps://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2277112
However, I am still not sure how to proceed. Should I flash a new recovery or rom, or is there a particular partition that has become corrupt that has caused this that I should fix. It seems I read somewhere that this could be a bad laf. partition.
One other thing that I forgot to mention is that I tried to make another nandroid backup the other day and I kept getting an error and backup failed....
Anyway, I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction....I really need my phone! Thanks

I did not have success using Fastboot last week on my laptop windows 10, however I did have Twrp previously on the phone.
I used (volume down+power) to activate FRP.

Fastboot is command driven like old dos "CMD" , and you need to be sure your usb cable and phone connected to your pc or laptop and recognized to send the command from PC to your device.

if you have TWRP installed, try push power, and hold volume - down until you see factory rest processing.
notes from my mistakes to avoid:

a-must have your SD card external
b-backup to be on the SD card
c-periodic backup and delete old files.

looks like you have to flash the phone, if you could make your usb port to set to (com 41) there is away, and in this forum flash for LG, this also did not works for me, as I explained I returned to the ZV3, not ZV4 to ZV6- However you have to have the proper drivers, files downloaded , driver phone to installed to your pc.

if not , then so sorry my friend my be another member could help you with better more precise approach .

good luck
Mo

I did not have success using Fastboot last week on my laptop windows 10, however I did have Twrp previously on the phone.
I used (volume down+power) to activate FRP.

Fastboot is command driven like old dos "CMD" , and you need to be sure your usb cable and phone connected to your pc or laptop and recognized to send the command from PC to your device.

if you have TWRP installed, try push power, and hold volume - down until you see factory rest processing.
notes from my mistakes to avoid:

a-must have your SD card external
b-backup to be on the SD card
c-periodic backup and delete old files.

looks like you have to flash the phone, if you could make your usb port to set to (com 41) there is away, and in this forum flash for LG, this also did not works for me, as I explained I returned to the ZV3, not ZV4 to ZV6- However you have to have the proper drivers, files downloaded , driver phone to installed to your pc.

if not , then so sorry my friend my be another member could help you with better more precise approach .

good luck
Mo
Thanks again for trying to help but if you read my op you would see that I have re-flashed this phone back to stock zv3 more than once. If I could get into twrp I could fix this with no problem. As far as the sd card, I have everything needed on it including nandroid backups.

Hello again
so far I did not know what model is it LG Volt LS740z?

I do really feel your frustration I was there all last week. this is the reason I'm trying to get into you as quick as I can.

if you already established the adb connection and the sync between your PC, and your Phone then there is two different ways both to flash it and update:

a- download this *rar file "LG Flash Tool 2014" extract the file to your root c:\ directory and run it from there.. this one easy - again it failed on my laptop due to windows 10 restriction and virus protection.

b- download this *rar file if the first one does not solve your problem, "LGFlashTool_1.8.1.1023" another flash tool but read instruction ,
1- do not run it after installation, instead copy MegaLock.dll inside the rar file and replace the one in your C:\LG \ lgflash
2-go to device manager find your device, and update the driver of your phone.
3-find the com port of your cable connect, for example if it is stated com1 , please as admin, click , and update it to come41, save changes , turn off computer and boot.

before Running the flash, open the rar. file , drage two files to the same directory, "LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure.dll" , and the "tot" file,

now run the flash, on the menu pop, direct to the dll, the second to the tot, before run go down change the pic box to not update, and be sure other connection not lan it is usb.

turn your phone off, take the battery out close to reach with your right hand, now connect the usb to your computer , the other end hold it on right hand, your left hand on the volume up press, and while press it insert the other end of the ubs while left hand press volume, quick reach out for the battery insert it, and you will see different logo and indicate if you are rooted or not does not matter do not turn it off,

now run the flash, and if error comes up is okay
under the top left yellow arrow the box should indicate com41, and start flashing your device.

good luck

Mo

OK, I am going to go through this again.......Yes this is an LG volt / ls740.
The phone is stuck in bootloop. I have twrp but can't access it and yes I know how. I can't get into download mode either . It goes to fastboot.The computer recognizes the phone as "Android bootloader interface" When I query "fastboot devices "the serial number it returns is not the s/n of the phone but a TWRP backup I made in Jan.
The information you keep providing has nothing to do with my issue since I cannot get into recovery or download mode or boot the phone!

OK, I am going to go through this again.......Yes this is an LG volt / ls740.
The phone is stuck in bootloop. I have twrp but can't access it and yes I know how. I can't get into download mode either . It goes to fastboot.The computer recognizes the phone as "Android bootloader interface" When I query "fastboot devices "the serial number it returns is not the s/n of the phone but a TWRP backup I made in Jan.
The information you keep providing has nothing to do with my issue since I cannot get into recovery or download mode or boot the phone!
if you can access fastboot just do

fastboot boot [twrp].img

flash to recovery by

fastboot flash recovery [twrp].img

I apologize for any overlap with what you may have already done, but I want to give the instructions from scratch for completeness.

1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/rywe5ww341dpu6u/twrp_302-3_volt.img and put it in your ADB directory
  2. Boot the phone to fastboot, hook up to USB
  3. fastboot boot twrp_302-3_volt.img
  4. The phone should boot to TWRP
  5. wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik-cache
  6. Transfer and flash, or sideload, http://www.mediafire.com/file/x4wbzegu7rqijtf/ls740_zv3_restore.zip (this is a recovery tool I haven't released yet, I appreciate feedback)
  7. Reboot system. The phone should reboot to stock ZV3.
Good luck!

Also he could download, and easy use

1-Setup_LGFlashTool_2.0.1.6, then
a-download https://androidforums.com/threads/official-restore-with-dl-mode.853693/
b-download, add the tot , and dl file to correct default directory.​
2-Set the com "LS740_COM41"
3-down load LG driver for his windows, driver must be recognized with his O/S and flash the phone, this is an option too.
4-The surprise part unless he have backup, he will not have a carrier once he go to his "status to check it out". if he rooted the device then may need to use APN application , to solve this issue!!!

Many people including myself couldn't get that way to work. On a side note, I lent my sister my volt a while back and I might be getting it back soon.
These posts A/M have enough verity of information to allow you go fish , please keep me updated if problem still exists

I apologize for any overlap with what you may have already done, but I want to give the instructions from scratch for completeness.

1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/rywe5ww341dpu6u/twrp_302-3_volt.img and put it in your ADB directory
  2. Boot the phone to fastboot, hook up to USB
  3. fastboot boot twrp_302-3_volt.img
  4. The phone should boot to TWRP
  5. wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik-cache
  6. Transfer and flash, or sideload, http://www.mediafire.com/file/x4wbzegu7rqijtf/ls740_zv3_restore.zip (this is a recovery tool I haven't released yet, I appreciate feedback)
  7. Reboot system. The phone should reboot to stock ZV3.
Good luck!
Thank you for this info..sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Unfortunately the phone became stuck in fastboot and would no longer charge. I finally broke down and bought a new phone.

Thank you for this info..sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Unfortunately the phone became stuck in fastboot and would no longer charge. I finally broke down and bought a new phone.
you should be able to fix it by leaving it on USB so it has power. If not, let me know if you want to get rid of it. I'm looking for potential Dev devices.

you should be able to fix it by leaving it on USB so it has power. If not, let me know if you want to get rid of it. I'm looking for potential Dev devices.

I have had no luck and really don"t have time to mess with it. Bought a Samsung so now learning its little ins and outs. If you still want this Volt let me know .

Back
Top Bottom