• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root want to root...couple of questions

May be dumb questions, but I don't know the answers to them, even after a search, so I'm askin.

Firmware
Baseband version
62.50SC.20.17H_2.22.23.02
Kernel version
2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
andriod-build@apa26 #19
Build number
DMD64

I keep seein people talkin about rc83 and such and downgrading...how do I know if I need to downgrade? And where do I find that info?

Do I need to keep my SIM card in while the whole process is goin on, or can I take it out?

What's the easiest, most straightforward way to do this whole thing? I learn best with step by step pics and instructions.

With root, I can save apps to my SD card, right? And can make my phone run faster? And update to 2.0 or whatever the most current update's out?

Sorry again for the dumb questions, but I'm just tryin to get this all down. I've never looked into rooting before, and wanna make sure I do it right.

~Lania

May be dumb questions, but I don't know the answers to them, even after a search, so I'm askin.

Firmware
Baseband version
62.50SC.20.17H_2.22.23.02
Kernel version
2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
andriod-build@apa26 #19
Build number
DMD64

I keep seein people talkin about rc83 and such and downgrading...how do I know if I need to downgrade? And where do I find that info?

Do I need to keep my SIM card in while the whole process is goin on, or can I take it out?

What's the easiest, most straightforward way to do this whole thing? I learn best with step by step pics and instructions.

With root, I can save apps to my SD card, right? And can make my phone run faster? And update to 2.0 or whatever the most current update's out?

Sorry again for the dumb questions, but I'm just tryin to get this all down. I've never looked into rooting before, and wanna make sure I do it right.

~Lania

You will should downgrade to RC29 to have a better chance of flashing and rooting your phone. Here is the wiki for it: Full Update Guide - G1/Dream Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki. I know this works because I just rooted my phone with it last night :D. And I would keep your sim card in (at least I did). Also for saving your apps to your sd card you can do that as well, you will need to partition your sd card though. Make sure to backup your sd card before this process. Here's the link for apps2sd: Apps2SD - CyanogenMod Wiki. Make sure to download the latest version of cyanogen for best results. Hope this answers your questions :).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Go check the G1 roms over at XDA, you will find a ton of good stuff:

G1 Android Development - xda-developers

I been using HTCClay's SuperCSDI v4 Remix Xperia Edition for the last couple weeks & its still running stable & faster then over...

I haven't cared too much for the eclair roms Ive tried so far, they run good for a day or two for then just bog down & turn to crap, so Ive been sticking w/ these mixed donut roms for best results...

Upvote 0
I got it rooted this mornin with the cyanogenmod-4.2.13. Dunno how current or not it is. I'm lookin for the newest updates now...there's so much stuff out...I get confuzzled easily sometimes =/ Wanna get the new android update..I suck at comp stuff...I don't have the patience.

Well the newest one for cyanogen is 5.0.7, which gives the G1 2.1 Eclair. But it is labeled as experimental, so depending how comfortable you are with trying it, you could use that. I haven't though :rolleyes:.

Here's a little information about it: Cyanogen 5.0.7 experimentally brings Eclair to G1, myTouch 3G -- caveats apply -- Engadget

Also: Release Notes - CyanogenMod Wikihttp://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/experimental/update-cm-5.0.7-DS-test2-signed.zip

Upvote 0
Okay, so im really really really not that great with technology, and ive been trying to root my tmobile g1 for like 4 days now and ive tried a bunch of things and I have no clue at what stage I'm at. This is the info about my phone

firmware version
Baseband Version
62.33.20.08h_1.22.12.29

Kernel Version
2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0android-build@apa27 #6

Build version
kila-user 1.0 TC4-RC29 115247 ota-rel-keys,release-keys

okay...so i degraded my phone to 1.0 somehow from one of the guides i was following. So is this thing rooted right now? if not, can someone pls pls pls pls tell me how to. I would appreaciate it if you could also include links of where to download the files needed. oh and how to install eclair pls

thanks a lot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones