• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Warning for Go SMS users: Check your data usage!

SizzFLair

Lurker
Background: I've been using go sms for about 2 years now (free version) on my Note 2 and now the Note 4. Used it over the stock sms app for the group text capability. I'm on AT&T's shared data program of 20GB with my family members under my account. I use the majority of the data for the group, but we use about 10GB per month on average. I always hop onto wifi at home and so does everyone else. While I'm on data, I mostly surf the internet, check emails, facebook, and watch youtube videos.

Issue: Being in the Army, I was out in the field for training for a little over 2 weeks. During this time, I used more data than usual. At the end of the exercise, I noticed that I used up 13GB of data on my own, which was odd since I didn't really use THAT much data. I watched youtube videos, listen to pandora, and browse the web on my freetime so I figured it might have added up.

Last night at 1:34AM, I get a message from AT&T saying that I'm at 90% of my 20GB data. Then after a heavy night of drinking at my friend's house, I passed out. While I was asleep, the phone went off a couple of times. I figured it was just my ex-girlfriends drunk texting me, so I ignored them.... haha

As I finally got up and checked my phone, AT&T was blowing my phone up about overage data usage. It warned me at 5:45AM that I used up 100% of my 20GB. Then starting at 7:14AM, I received multiple messages saying that I used up 100% of 1GB and that I was charged $15. This happened 4 times! I immediately checked my at&t usage and I was almost about to pass 5GB of overage data ($75 extra charge!). [Screenshot](http://imgur.com/ucO3LGv).

I went to my phone's data usage and behold... GoSMS used 10.60GB of data (calculated from my phone so probably more on the AT&T side)! I thought it was continuing to use my data, so I deleted it right away. Then I took the [screenshot](http://imgur.com/XuRd9lE). Now that I think about it, I wish I would have taking the screenshot before I deleted go sms pro, since now it says "removed apps and users," not "go sms pro." I am not lying here and I can tell you that I saw go sms pro before I deleted it of having used 10.60GB of data. I check other family member's data usage and they used about 1.5GB each (3 people) so they did not cause this spike of data.

Conclusion: I am not sure why go sms pro has been using up all that data. The ads? I know that there was an update recently and maybe there was a bug that they weren't unaware of. I didn't send a crazy amount of pictures or anything so I shouldn't have used that much data. You can clearly see how much of data was used for other things like web browsing and youtube in the screenshot above. I posted this on reddit and other android forums to get the word out. It appears that another user experienced a similar issue.

I am continuing to rack up overage data as I use it for work and my family members use it as well (as of now 7GB of overage, which equates to $105). I left a message on Go SMS Pro's facebook. Also emailed them as well.

All I ask from Go SMS Pro is to pay for the overage data cost that resulted from their app. I was asleep, the phone not being used, and it used up over 6GB of data! Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Back
Top Bottom