• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weather app location is wrong

I've actually registered to ask this exact same question. Monday my weather widget was working properly, not necessarily accurate, but at least it showed the right location. But now, I'm apparently in neutral territory, my mobile thinks its in Switzerland of all places. I'm not, I'm in the Netherlands.

It had a slight tumble where my SIM got slightly dislodged, so I had to shut it off to re-insert the SIM card correctly. When I turned it back on, this problem arose.

I've tried to reset the app, remove and close, do a reboot. Even redo my SIM, just in case something's wrong with that to get the correct info, but nothing's working. GPS is turned off, but if I open Google maps it shows my location pretty accurately. GPS on doesn't make a difference, I'm still apparently stuck in the Swiss alps.

As default I don't have the GPS turned on, so that was never the problem in locating my position for the app, just a working wifi connection.

I'm really stumped by this.

Upvote 0
Using GPS alone should give you the correct address but add in aGPS which uses the cell tower, and/or using wifi too may give you a funny location. It seems to happen to me more often when I have wifi turned on and it uses it to get my location. For some reason, I get stuff for Jackson TN which is nowhere near Knoxville. Turning wifi off usually fixes that.

Also, on the weather widget I use (OneMoreClock) a recent update addressed the wrong location stating that the google weather service should not be used because it is "no longer supported" and inaccurate. Using the default OMC weather provider seems to work fine for me.

So, you may want to check the settings in your weather app and see if you can change where it parses the weather information from.

David

Upvote 0
Phones use assisted gps, it uses the cell towers or wifi to lock in a closer position. I'm not sure why it would be more accurate when you turn wifi off as it uses known wifi locations to pin point where you are and it also uses the cell towers to triangulate with the aGPS.

Try clearing the aGPS data with the gps status app I mentioned and then when you re download it it should work better

Upvote 0
I have no idea why it picks remote locations; but occasionally I, too, am stumped. More than once the phone has reported my location as somewhere on the African continent. I'm actually in the US mid-Atlantic; the closest I've ever been to Africa was Austria, and that was seven years ago. I have no idea why that happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones