• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weird Happening

zixxorb

Android Enthusiast
So yesterday I was watching a bunch of youtube videos and when i got done I went back to my home screen. Well as soon as I did, my event did a PRL update (that i did not request) and then rebooted my phone. I didn't think too much about it except that it was weird. Not until this morning at least.

So i woke up this morning and was going through my app drawer and noticed a new app for wifi tethering that i had not installed and so i was going to uninstall it like normal apps but i can't. It acted like a system app as in i couldn't delete it. So i opened up my settings and went to see if there was any new options or anything. When i went under my "more" options there was new options for wifi tether that wasn't there before. I then went to my "about phone" menu and as far as i could tell, nothing had changed. Still on 4.0.4.

So my question is, what exactly happened? Was this an update that was pushed to my phone via the PRL update? Or was this app somehow installed maliciously? And has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

I think Virgin must have pushed an update of some sort. I don't have the Event (I have an old Rise, but use an Atrix HD now).

But my girlfriend's phone updated PRL and seemingly factory reset itself and now has a few new changes on her phone as you described OP.

Her Event now has the Qualcomm IZat app and Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot app. She also said My Account wasn't there prior to the update. Still 4.0.4

I've had the qualcom and my account apps since I got the phone. I'm just wondering why, if virgin did push the app, that they never gave us a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom