• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what can happen if i uninstall an application update?

Gaia

Hi

i receive almost every days applications updates , for example chrome , gmail ,google+ and so on

now i have a samsung s3 neo

if i go to settings -> more ->applications manager -> and tap for example on chrome,google drive ,dropbox i find uninstall updates

i have force stop , turn off ,clear data and clear cache

may i know what can happen if I tap uninstall updates ?

seeing i get so many updates, i'm wondering if they replace the original applications with the new one , or this cause a reduction of free space of my mobile (backing up the old application version

does it uninstall in this case chrome ?

thanks

If an app has this option it is a system app, and selecting "Uninstall Updates" will restore the version of that app that originally came with the phone (or that was included in the latest firmware update if you've gotten one).
Going forward, depending on your Play Store settings the app may subsequently get updated again to the latest version. This will happen if you have automatic updates selected. As long as you have a new enough version of Android and the Play Store, you can go into the settings and de-select "Auto Update Apps". There is also a setting for each individual app to auto-update or not.
As for storage space, in the case of system apps that have the "Uninstall Updates" option when they are updated the old version is kept so you can revert to it later. Although this does use more storage space than with user apps which just overwrite older versions when they are updated, it shouldn't affect your user storage as system apps are kept in a different part of the phone's internal storage which you don't have access to anyway (unless the phone is rooted).

If an app has this option it is a system app, and selecting "Uninstall Updates" will restore the version of that app that originally came with the phone (or that was included in the latest firmware update if you've gotten one).
Hi Fox , thanks a lot!!!!

There is also a setting for each individual app to auto-update or not.
where can i find it ?
here
On each app's update page, there is a menu button on the top right corner. Click it and deselect auto update for that app
. Although this does use more storage space than with user apps which just overwrite older versions when they are updated
i see my device free space get smaller at every update :(

may i ask a question ?
do google update their application for security reason

again thanks a lot Fox Molder !
cheers

Last edited:
Google does updates because- Google. They do them whenever they want for whatever reason they want. Sometimes it's security, sometimes they do add functionality, sometimes it's just to change the look, sometimes it's so they can gather even more information when you use that app. And they won't always tell you what the update is for, especially if it's the latter. It might just have a generic note like "bug fixes".
As for where the auto-update setting is, if you have it it will be in the Play Store menu that is available when you are looking at the details for each individual app. Tap the menu bar or long-press the home button and the "Auto Update" check box should pop up. You may not have this option if you are using an older version of Android however, in my case I am using 4.4.2.

It is very important that to update an app when it's notification comes, if not, there is a chance to stop the working of apps and unable to get new features, updation is using for fixing bugs also.

It is very important that to update an app when it's notification comes, if not, there is a chance to stop the working of apps and unable to get new features, updation is using for fixing bugs also.

Not necessarily, IMO you really want to look at why the app is being updated.

Here's a reason why you might want to hold off updating an app...and I didn't update it for a long time.
http://androidforums.com/threads/tapatalk-user-revolt.892042/
"Tapatalk user revolt", "As some of you know, Tapatalk has been on the path from a 5-star app to a 1-star app. With their most recent update for Android and iOS, it is mission accomplished."

...and here's a later reason why you should update that same app...
http://androidforums.com/data/avatars/l/268/268690.jpg?1443795528

"Tapatalk sends unencrypted passwords over the web."

Also I've seen a few "free" games updated just to increase the ad content, to the extent that the games became unplayable, e.g. very obnoxious repeated full-screen interstitials, rather than acceptable banner ads, i.e. the developers became too greedy!

Last edited:
As I can see Google map is updated with above 40 versions after it is launched ,if somebody is still using a middle version for eg V7.7.0 ,is it able to get turn by turn navigation and voice guidance or will not get this message " unfortunately map has stopped "? While opening the app.

Back
Top Bottom